iPhone 6 FaceTime Camera Defect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by camhabib, Mar 5, 2017.

1. camhabib macrumors regular

I purchased an iPhone 6 (black) a while back and after a few months of using it, I noticed a small crescent shaped object appear in the front facing camera. I brought it into the Apple Store and they told me at the time it was a known defect and replaced the display no questions asked, saying that the design had been modified to prevent this from happening again. Well, some time later, it happened again, this time out of warranty. I brought the phone back into an Apple Store just recently and was told that, this is not a known defect, and that they couldn't do anything aside from charge me for an out of warranty repair. The manager said his own phone exhibited this, and even a nearby customer who overheard my issue chimed in to say she too just noticed the same thing on her phone, and yet, he said this isn't a known problem and nothing could be done.

I know there was a thread on this a while ago but I'm curious if anyone has had some luck as of late getting Apple to fix this with out of warranty phones? Has anyone heard of any class action lawsuit or something of the like to try and urge Apple to recognize this as an actual issue?

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The little crescent shaped bit over the front camera has always been there. I got my phone a couple of months after launch and it has it. It shouldn't affect the function/view of the camera though. I didn't even notice it until I read about it in a thread here.

Does yours actual obstruct the camera?

3. bradbomb macrumors regular

4. camhabib thread starter macrumors regular

Not to the best of my knowledge - it's more an unsightly cosmetic issue.

I actually posted in that thread some time ago - I was wondering if anyone had recent experiences with getting Apple to repair it out of warranty. It seems like a fairly wide spread issue for an "isolated incident" like I was told by my most recent Genius.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Then you'll probably just have to live with it. Don't get your hopes up for a lawsuit or free repairs over something that has no effect on the function of the device.