Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slattery69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
As per title trying to decide which to buy. What's the free space out of box without adding your own apps on the 16gb model. Thanks in advance

Tg716

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I was in a similar situation with an ipod classic for all my music. Helps save battery on my phone and can save at least 100 bucks. I've had 16GB 3gs, 4 and 5 and take a good amount of pictures and have only had to download my photos to clear space once throughout all of those

slattery69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Paid Shill
I was in a similar situation with an ipod classic for all my music. Helps save battery on my phone and can save at least 100 bucks. I've had 16GB 3gs, 4 and 5 and take a good amount of pictures and have only had to download my photos to clear space once throughout all of those

That's my thoughts my touch is a 32gb and has all my music on. So I'll save the money and get a 16gb one.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
How does it work with pages and keynote?

Are they available for free for all specs? And how do they interact with osx(do I have to buy equivalent apps for osx or are they free)?

bmms8

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2007
How does it work with pages and keynote?

Are they available for free for all specs? And how do they interact with osx(do I have to buy equivalent apps for osx or are they free)?

Free on iOS but not free on mac.

dfran1

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
I would highly recommend waiting get a 64 GB version at a minimum!!

Why, because I know of many people now with 16 and 8 GB iphones that can not do the update because they need ~7GB free.

Of course there are people out there will tell you to do it thru iTunes BUT

my experience going down that road in the past was a nightmare.

I lost data, because I did not have the proper amount at the time free and went the iTunes way and still LOST DATA, and no restore brought back my data and applecare also confirmed I lost it permanently!! No it was not contacts or calendar info, it was app data to specific apps.

you can do what you want it is your money but I advise against it, 16 gig today is nothing, I have about 34 gig just in apps, 25 gig in music, pictures well??

bmms8

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2007
I would highly recommend waiting get a 64 GB version at a minimum!!

Why, because I know of many people now with 16 and 8 GB iphones that can not do the update because they need ~7GB free.

Of course there are people out there will tell you to do it thru iTunes BUT

my experience going down that road in the past was a nightmare.

I lost data, because I did not have the proper amount at the time free and went the iTunes way and still LOST DATA, and no restore brought back my data and applecare also confirmed I lost it permanently!! No it was not contacts or calendar info, it was app data to specific apps.

you can do what you want it is your money but I advise against it, 16 gig today is nothing, I have about 34 gig just in apps, 25 gig in music, pictures well??

64 gigs may suit you, I'm sure it suits people these days better than 16 gigs. But I'm fine with 16 GB, i have 20 gb of iCloud data and 30 free on onedrive if i need it.

But wow 34 GB in apps! I have a little over 1 gb with just 18 apps.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Mine was roughly 114GB, it came preloaded with Pages, Keynote etc.

Ohh, so that actually happened!
I remember reading the rumour about this potentially happening, but they weren't preloaded on my 6 64gb so didn't think it went ahead. Have downloaded them now anyway.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I remember reading the rumour about this potentially happening, but they weren't preloaded on my 6 64gb so didn't think it went ahead. Have downloaded them now anyway.

Indeed it did, in addition to iTunes U and Garageband which I've both deleted as I have no use for them lol.

whirldy

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Within
...I know of many people now with 16 and 8 GB iphones that can not do the update because they need ~7GB free./QUOTE]

No space when updating OTA (Over the Air) is more accurate to say. Updating via iTunes works fine in these sizes.

:)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

That's odd, the iLife and iWork suites were installed on my 64GB 6.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
That's odd, the iLife and iWork suites were installed on my 64GB 6.

That was gonna be my other question - whether it was a region thing or a production week thing. Might've been an after-though when loads had already been made and iOS 8 installed.
Mine was produce in week 33 I think, and I'm in the UK.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 6 free space out of box

That was gonna be my other question - whether it was a region thing or a production week thing. Might've been an after-though when loads had already been made and iOS 8 installed.

Mine was produce in week 33 I think, and I'm in the UK.

I'm in the US. How do you figure out when an iPhone was manufactured?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
12.2 free space, cool.

I have a 32 GB i5 now and only used about 14 GB after 2 years, but I have a crap load of apps that I don't even use.

So, it looks like I can survive of 16 GB, as I don't do anything but take pics, read message boards, stream Netflix (sometimes), some music, websites, etc. I don't play games, just Tetris and some gold game. Have about 1,300 pics.

Looks like I can save $100, just have get rid of the apps I don't even use and have plenty of space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.