iPhone 6 from Tmobile store (1 locked and 1 unlocked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pharmathew, Sep 25, 2014.

1. pharmathew macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

The title summarizes my problem. I bought 2 iPhones 6 from Tmobile store, but one of them are locked!!!

The tmobile staff told me that the device would be locked etc. and then I went to SEVERAL Apple stores in NYC and asked to many Apple Store representatives, and ALL of them answer me the same thing, the device from Tmobile store is also unlocked and I can use it worldwide. With this information I went to a Tmobile store and bought the phone with no lines.

The first device I bought and tried a AT&T SIM card, with no success. Then I went to the Apple Store (5th ave), after talking to many representatives, I found one guy who solve my problem:
    He restored the phone (recovery mode) and magically unlocked the phone.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

My problem is: in the next day I bought another device for my girlfriend and just after that she left the country with the phone. Once I saw the unlocking process , I thought it will not be a problem to do by myself. But now, I just tried and was not success with the unlocking process.

Hint: I think that we were unable to unlock the device because she is in another country (so, cant use US server to activate)

I apologize the long message, and idea will be more than welcome.

2. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Did you remove the sim card BEFORE turning on the power? If not, it becomes locked.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You should have bought from the Apple store. It's known that the ones sold in T-mobile stores are locked, and the ones sold in Apple stores are unlocked.

The unusual thing here is that you managed to get one unlocked.

4. pharmathew thread starter macrumors newbie

@realeric : I turned it on with Tmobile sim card =(

@terraphantm : the weird part is that ALL Apple staff answered me the very same thing, that Tmobile is unlocked.
    In the Apple store, the Genius guy from technical support helped me with this unlock process. I'm afraid that now I'm missing some step or the problem actually is that the phone is not in US territory.

Some quotes from Apple support (online chat):

When I said the phone is in Europe:
    "Oh, that may be part of the problem. The iPhone may not unlock if it is not restored using the US restore servers."

Ok, well your iPhone is still with in the 14 day return period to be returned or exchanged. We could set you up with an appointment to bring that phone back and have it exchanged for a sim-free unlocked phone.

The other option we can try is doing a recovery mode restore using iTunes to see if that updates the lock policy on the phone and unlocks it.

matheus:
    because, once i bought the phone in the full price, it's my right to have a unlocked phone, right?
    Brooke:
    ****Yes. Your iPhone is fully yours, you should be able to get it unlocked.****

Well, any advice, will be more than welcome, thanks !!!

5. lovelybai macrumors member

in my experience
    1) Tmobile bought at Tmobile store should be locked.
    2) Which sim card was inside during activation doesn't matter
    3) It is really strange apple store guys could unlock it by restoration.

6. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

OT: Does this only apply to T-Mobile iPhones? Could I do the same with an AT&T iPhone that I bought from Apple.com? (Turn it on without the SIM, and it doesn't get locked?)

7. julesgold macrumors regular

I know you can make a request to T-Mobile to unlock your phone. Or search online, you'll find people/companies that would this for your for a fee. Not sure if we are allow to discuss this on the forum tho.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well now you know.

There is absolutely no reason to buy an iPhone at a T-Mobile store unless you plan on using their EIP financing. If you're paying full price then buy it from Apple as all of those are unlocked.

9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you can buy a tmobile unlock ticket online thats your only choice

10. pharmathew thread starter macrumors newbie

@apollo, where can I find this ticket? Thanks !

11. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

12. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

pricey but the best service is from chronicunlocks...

https://chronicunlocks.com/

add them on facebook so you can monitor your unlock

----------

it won't comply with the t.mobile criteria because it requires at least 40 days active on t mobile network... scrap that it says prepaid or paid in advance, a full year...

13. pharmathew thread starter macrumors newbie

@1080p: I have the same concern as Apollo: 40 days active, or, as it is pay in advance, it's one year =(

14. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you have to pay for an IMEI unlock, nothing more you can do

15. lke macrumors 6502a

You can use a USA server even if you are in another country with a software.

I don't know if this will fix your issue but you could try

Here is one good software for the mac:
    http://www.raynersoftware.com/netshade.php

16. pharmathew thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it !! (By now, just the activation haha)

Tip for the international guys:
    I bought here in US a new SIM card and activate it on a spare dumb phone that I have. After that I transfered this EXISTING number to the iphone sim that came with the device ! Voila , it worked !