iPhone 6 - glass protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jimmybcool, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jimmybcool macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just got a new iPhone 6 thru Verizon. I didn't buy any of the extras there and ordered a case online. But the salesman put a plastic sheet or something on the glass to "protect" my screen before I left for free.

I kinda don't like it. And I question if it is needed. Thoughts?

2. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's your phone. If you don't want it on there, take it off.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I wish he did for my iPhone 6 Plus but I noticed on 4 corners have some scratches so I had to buy cheap protector to stop scratches as I put it on the table. :apple:

5. jimmybcool thread starter macrumors newbie

SO does the iPhone 6 NEED an extra layer of protection or is the glass scratch resistant. If it needs it I'll get used to it but if it was a meaningless gesture on his part Ill take it off. Any guidance on this appreciated.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't need it, like you don't need a bicycle helmut to ride a bike, but its a good idea to have one.

I have a zagg tempered glass protector and it provides an extra layer of protection against the screen.

You can basically ask the same question about the case you bought. The iPhone doesn't need a case but its a good idea to have it imo.

7. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

You need a case, especially if you are a new iPhone user. You don't need a screen protector if you have a case with a raised front lip.

Order from an Apple Store or pick one up from an Apple store either a Apple case, leather or silicone, or pick up a Tech 21 Evo Mesh from Apple.

Those are two good choices with the Tech 21 being the most protective. You can lose the plastic protector with either of those.

8. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

Love the Zagg Glass--have one on my 6 Plus...

Kristin

9. jimmybcool thread starter macrumors newbie

A case is mandatory. This thing is slippery. I received the one I ordered yesterday and it snapped right on. Caseology with raised lip. I really like it.

I guess at one time (I've had all the iPhones) I was under the impression that the glass was uber tough and very difficult to scratch or damage. I never have yet on any previous phones. The case does have a raised lip and I might remove this glass cover as I don't see a real consensus here.

It differs from a bicycle helmet in that it isn't my life nor is the glass as exposed to risk from a fall as my head would be flying along at 20 MPH while the phone is probably just falling a few feet straight down. BTW, I wear bike helmets here in USA and when in Thailand (4-6 months a year) I am not daft enough to ride in their traffic on ANY form of two wheels. :eek:

Thanks all for the replies. I am new to this forum and hope to find it useful, and maybe be useful though I expect many of you are far more expert in Apple products than I. I'm just a guy who owns a lot of Apple stuff and uses it to make my life easier. Most of it does things I've never bothered to figure out. ;)

10. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I had a Zagg film applied onto the back of my 6, and it adds a ton of grip. To anyone wanting to go caseless. I'm getting to like going caseless.