Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhollandnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
Anyone seen this? I use the phone without a case in my pocket and after basically a weak the white bands are starting to turn yellowish. I will post a pic later. Haven't even worn it with blue jeans or dark pants yet.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
On a gold iphone, the antenna bands should be anodized gold.

White plastic does this.
You've seen old white computers right? Your phone is handled far more by oily dirty hands than even those were.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Yep, that's a problem with plastic - especially white plastic it'll start to turn yellowish. You can't do much about it.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Yep, that's a problem with plastic - especially white plastic it'll start to turn yellowish. You can't do much about it.

Do white Nokia Lumia phones turn yellowish? other white plastic phones? just curious

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
considered swapping gray for a gold model but now not so sure. though i always use a case or skin. i wonder if exposure to light is doing this or oil and dirt from hands, or if it's just a natural process that happens on its own.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Do white Nokia Lumia phones turn yellowish? other white plastic phones? just curious

Ironically all my iPhones have been white. I still have my 3GS which has a white plastic back and that hasn't discoloured to yellow.

It doesn't make sense why the antenna bands have discoloured in a short space of time. It could just me the type of plastic that's being used for the antenna bands.

CBSubliminal

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Florida
Just exchanged my Space Gray 64gb plus for a Gold one yesterday. Didnt think of the antenna bands discoloring. I dont think it would bother me as much.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
That was me fear at first too but I put a skinomi back protector on it and now everything is all good

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Apple put a stress sensor in the new iPhones. If you're stressed, the antenna bands turn yellow. If you meditate to relieve stress, the bands return to their original color. Unfortunately, this can lead to a vicious cycle where the yellowing bands create more stress until the bands melt and the phone bends where the bands used to be. Don't stress.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Mine turned slightly blue from the denim of my jeans after being in my pocket for a day. Wiped off just fine, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.