Carrier iPhone 6 -- Help me understand unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by catalyst6, Sep 4, 2014.

1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Hi all,

I'd like to buy an iPhone 6 whenever it's released (hopefully the 5.5 inch version). I am currently on AT&T and eligible for an upgrade, but I will be moving to Germany this fall so need to purchase it unlocked.

My understanding is that I can purchase a No-SIM version of the iPhone and it will be useable overseas no problem with an appropriate carrier's sim card (O2, Telekom, etc.). Are iPhones typically sold unlocked day one? If not, is there a recommended model to purchase "contract free" that is the same as an unlocked phone and operating on the required bands for Europe?

The idea is that I will use my AT&T SIM month to month until I leave, then just start a month to month plan in Europe.

Thanks for the feedback. I am pumped about the reveals next Tuesday :cool:

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Switch to Cricket or StraightTalk. ATT towers, far cheaper per month.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes just buy the T-Moble or Verizon model from Apple on day 1. Those are unlocked and ready to work on AT&T or any international GSM carrier.

4. MatiasAR macrumors newbie

when you buy one of these Verizon or T-Mobile sim free iPhones, do they come with the carrier logo on the phone or splash screens? I'd hate to see that :S

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

no.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

From Apple store ONLY!

Tmobile iphone at full price=Unlocked
    Att iphone at full price=Unlocked
    Verizon full price/subsidy=Unlocked
    Spring=top dead

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

They do not!

8. MatiasAR macrumors newbie

Great news! I'm gonna get the Verizon unlocked version which I think will be the most compatible one with other carriers around the world.

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.58.36.png

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone is one of the few phones that specifically doesn't allow for something like that.

10. Ibetit macrumors newbie

I am waiting for Iphone 6 too, but I think I will wait longer to get in at a better price:p

11. Winona Northdakota, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6 -- Help me understand unlocked

The chart you provide is only for contact phones. You said you are looking for a contract free iPhone. Buying a contract free Verizon iPhone only gives you the advantage being able to activate on Verizon's network. Which makes absolutely no difference for anyone outside of the US. Verizon only operates a network in the US.

12. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Okay so my last unlocked iPhone was the 5. My question is if I get the Verizon version, will I be able to use it with my T-Mobile SIM, since it's unlocked?

Also is there really a difference between a factory-unlocked iPhone and the Verizon unlocked iPhone?

Again my last unlocked was a 5 and I remember it was almost 1-2 months before the factory-unlocked were available at all. Was the 5S/5C available from the launch or did people have to wait a bit? Or did Apple just tell them to get the Verizon at full price because it was unlocked and that it is no different than a factory unlock?

Thanks in advanced. :D

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Did you miss the part where he is moving to GERMANY?

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Did you miss the part where he said he was going to keep paying ATT's exorbitant fees? Even though he will no longer be using their financing as a crutch to afford an iPhone?

Here, let me help you with your reading comprehension:

15. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Also curious but, do you have to activate the "unlocked" phone on the carrier you bought it on first before using it on a carrier overseas, or can you essentially bring the "unlocked" phone unopened directly overseas?

16. bandrews macrumors 6502a

I thought "month to month" just meant 30 day rolling contract, not 24 month so he would be able to cancel the contract one month and start a new one in Europe?

As for phones, at least in the UK, Apple store is the only place you can buy from that you know the phone will remain unlocked. If you buy "sim-free" from third party retailers it automatically locks to the network of the first sim you put in when activating.