iPhone 6 high cpu usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metalsoul192, Feb 7, 2015.

1. metalsoul192 macrumors newbie

Hello. I have an iPhone 6 with ios 8.1.3. It works just fine, but from time to time the cpu usage rises to 50-60% (according to sysstats lite) even without any app running, and the battery begins to drain really fast. I tried to restore it as a new phone and used it without any single app installed but it didn't work. I have almost everything disabled (bluetooth, location, background refreshing apps). Turning off the screen and waiting for a few minutes seems to fix it temporally, but it's really annoying having to do that everytime that the phone starts to get hot.

I hope you guys can help to solve that
    Thanks

2. MacLappy macrumors regular

Had the same problem on an iPhone 6 plus, brought it in for apple to service. They said something about bad firmware and replaced it for me.

3. Audban macrumors newbie

This is quite an annoying experience. Something you would never expect from a company such as Apple. Good thing they have good customer service though.

4. XTheLancerX, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I wonder if this is my issue... Since I first got my iPhone 6 it has been terrible on battery even though I hardly do anything intensive. Software updates have helped, but it's still impossible to get any more than 6 hours on battery. All I do is check social media and use Safari, not that heavy of usage. Brightness is usually at 25% or less and the thing gets warm and drains anyway. I've restored as new 3 times and it has never gotten better. All intensive settings are turned off. What's the best app to check CPU usage?

Oh actually I want to correct something, it's great on battery up until about 70%. Then it starts getting hot and it drains at 10% per half hour or 45 minutes rather than 10% per hour. I can get 2 hours 45 minutes of usage at 70% but then to get from 70% to 50% it takes less than an hour, making it about 3 hours 30 minutes of usage at 50%. This quickly turns what looks like a 9-10 hour cycle to a 7 hour cycle. Past that point it continues to drain about 10% per half hour, so 4 hours at 40%, 4 hours 30 minutes at 30%, 5 hours at 20%, 5 hours 30 minutes at 10%, and usually by the time it dies, it just reaches 6 hours.

Have either of you noticed accelerating drain with your iPhone?

5. metalsoul192 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used sysstats lite to check CPU usage.

6. metalsoul192 thread starter macrumors newbie

I sent it to Apple and they replaced it for me, but the new one have the same behavior :( . I'm starting to think that it's a ios 8 bug or something like that.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

pretty much what i deal with. i cant really get more than 5.5-6.5 hours of use out of my battery. starts out ok, but simple tasks start tanking the battery. the lower the %, the faster. an hour ago i was at 31%. barely used the phone (few texts and checked FB once) and now its down to 20%.

8. Coupz macrumors regular

I have the same behavior under 50% and will get a replacement due to my camera has moved. Will report when the replacement arrives.
    Facebook is not light usage. It has to load a hell lot of pictures and Facebook is a real battery hog.

I can get around 4-5 hours of usage from the first 50% and at around 8-8,5 hours my phone is dead. Once I has 5 hours and 15 minutes from the first 50% and my phone had 1% with 8 hours and 30 minutes.

9. JimPrn macrumors newbie

JimPrn

Ok, I solved this situation on my phone. I had tried all of the above potential solutions and none worked. I had all of the symptoms, high CPU usage, hot phone, rapid battery drainage.
    Ultimately, this issue was resolved by turning off automatic iCloud backups. I can only speculate as to why this was causing the problems. Slow internet uploads sounds reasonable but my connection is pretty quick. Was the backup getting stuck in a loop and never stopping? Im not sure. But, I no longer have the issue. I just backup to iCloud manually. Problem solved. Hope this may help your situation.

10. martinwinlow macrumors newbie

I am having this issue too both before I updated the firmware to IOS V9.2 - and still have it after upgrading to 9.2. It was fine untill a couple of weeks ago having had it for 11 months or so from new. l lose about 1% per minute even without any apps running and with all radio transcievers (GSM, BT & WiFi) turned off. Tried wiping an re-installing from a USB backup. The bad heating has gone but the battery usuage is just as bad. CPU usage never falls below 50% (using Status app). Anyone got any more ideas? I got my 6 from my phone provider amd would rather not be without it for any time at all. So, if I can fix it myself I'd much rather do that than send it off. MW

11. martinwinlow macrumors newbie

So, (some tinkering later...)
    So having tried installing Status app to see what was going on behind the scenes I found it doesn't do a process list. Researching an alternative that would show
    application process info (to try to pin down an app that might be causing my phone its problems) and, before I found out that it doesn't do process info for IOS9, I installed SysStatsMon lite. Miricle of miricles, CPU use immediately dropped to a sensible 5% or so when idle, with all radios working and zero heating! It's like SysStatsMon's discipline has forced whatever was causing my issues to go away. Anyway, I paid for the app and would recommend anyone with the same heating/battery drain problems to try the same solution. I'll report back in a few days with an update. MW