iPhone 6: Hot and Unresponsive edition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MonksMac, Apr 1, 2015.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Woke up today to this strange issue on my 64GB Slate Gray iPhone 6. I was just browsing Facebook fine while I was on the charger, but after I unplugged the iPhone all of the applications became unresponsive. I could tap on the icons, but no apps would actually load, even Settings.

The odd thing though is that iOS didn't seem completely frozen - volume buttons worked, Touch ID worked, and the sleep/wake button worked. The other strange thing though is that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the phone to TURN OFF. Holding down the sleep/wake button only turned off the screen and never gave me the "Slide to Shutdown" option. The phone also became alarmingly hot.

I finally managed to get the phone to reset by holding down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time, but when it restarted the battery life dropped from 100% to 58%.

Is this a common problem with the iPhone 6? I have to say, I've not really been very impressed with this iPhone after the last 2 years with my iPhone 5. :apple:

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Not a common problem or you would be reading about it here.

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

It's one of those weird bugs you'll encounter once or twice with a device. :)
    Don't worry.

4. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Yep, happend to me once or twice...on an old iPhone 4, my 6+ works perfect :)

5. blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

This is common for me. QCs on the 6's are at an all time low. If you get a good one, KEEP IT!

6. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Definately not a common issue.

I would do the hard reset as you done and monitor from there. If it happens again, I would do a full restore w/o restoring from backup and monitor again.

7. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I feel like this is sadly true. It just doesn't feel like it's been tested as thoroughly as previous models, and the QC doesn't seem great either.

I tried to backup my phone yesterday after I got it to restart. It synced fine with iTunes, but iPhoto hung when trying to sync photos and I had to force quit the app so I could unplug the phone. I'm going to back it up again and then try doing a complete reset. (That's painful though...)

Just irritating to have these problems surface on a phone I've only had since November. I also have the front facing camera problem as well. I'm honestly considering taking it to the Apple store for the camera problem and hope they just replace my phone with another one of better quality. Sadly, I think I see an M9 in my future...

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Apple is making alot of phones and a few will always have a problem. It is possible that the OP's problem would not have shown up in QC. For the sheer number of phone that Apple Sells, I think they have a remarkable record when it comes to lack of defects.

9. deviant macrumors 65816

why do you come here instead of handing it back to apple? why wasting time? nobody can help you if your phone gets TOO hot. just send it back to apple and they'll give you a new one. it's not that hard.