Iphone 6 IOS 8 storage space issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Reyne82, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Reyne82 macrumors newbie

I'm having some issues with my storage space on my iPhone. I had like 800MB free and without doing anything special it Went down to like 100-0MB without any specific reason... managed to free up some space by deleting some apps. around 300MB.

THen my storage space fluctuated around 600-0MB up and down all the time.

After that I managed to free Another 800MB and I had 1.3gb free... Seemed like it would stay that way. but no. AFter a couple of Days later it's down again to around 500-200mb...

Since I hade the 1.3gb free space. I have NOT installed any apps or even taken a single Picture or video.. I have done NOTHING that would take up 1gb of free space...

What the hell is going on?

Any help would be really great! THanks!

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

3. Reyne82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well mostly:
    Imessage
    Whatsap (keep deleting pics all the time)
    Facebook and messenger
    Snapchat
    Mail

Playing abit star wars commander sometimes aswell

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to settings, general, usage, manage storage.
    Every mb used is listed there.
    Facebook and other programs will eat up more data as you use them.

5. Reyne82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have checked there. If I add up all the apps there its not even close to the 11.7gb.

One second i can have 500 mb free. 2 seconds later i have 30mb. 5 mins later 400 mv again. And so on!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Start deleting apps, music, videos, pictures etc...
    If you keep staying close to filling it up completely you will have lots of problems.
    It will run buggy and wont be able to do many things like send receive messages, emails etc...
    Clean it out or buy a highest storage model.

7. Reyne82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what I did Before.

I wouldn't call 1.3gb free out of 12,1gb "close to filling it up completely". Maybe I'm wrong?
    So what happens if I free up another gb? What says I won't end up with 50mb free yet again after 2-3 days?

Something most be wrong here. Would a system restore then restore from backup help perhaps?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said you had between 500mb to 30mb on your above post.
    That is cutting it close.
    You can try a restore and setup as new.
    If you restore from backup it will be exactly as it is now.
    If there's any software bugs they will carry from the backup file back to your device.
    Also look at your storage info to see what exactly is taking up most of your space.
    Good luck.

9. Dont42Panic macrumors newbie

My 5s is having the exact same issue. I will check the usage and it will show 1.1 to 1.3 gb free, then at some point throughout the day I'll start getting the warnings saying storage is low. When I check the usage at that point I am close to 0. Then at some point, without deleting anything, it goes back to 1.1 to 1.3 free. Just bizarre.

I understand small swings, but up a gig, down a gig, up a gig over the course of a day without adding or deleting any apps seems weird.