iPhone 6 iPhone 6 Plus battery lifetime on iOS 8.1

What's about your battery lifetime on iOS 8.1?

• Higher than on iOS 8.0

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Lower than on iOS 8.0

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Same battery lifetime

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters

Le Hamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
What do you, think about the battery lifetime on iOS 8.1? Is it higher or lower than on iOS 8.0?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
About the same for me. Maybe slightly less but I think it's just calibration issues.

I saw about 7 hours usage in the past 24 hours (no charging) and was at 37% just now when I plugged it in.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Yes, maybe a bit more but not much.
I restarted my phone after I installed 8.1 and it seemed to drain slower.
Yes...mine seems to be a bit higher as well. I reset all settings and did a soft reset (home + power button hold) after updating to iOS 8.1 and it seems to be higher. After playing Beach Buggy Racing and some Twitter and Instagram and Safari my battery was at 92% with 56min of usage!:apple::D:)

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I was consistently getting over 10 hours of usage on my 6 Plus on 8.0. Skipped 8.0.1 and 8.0.2. Updated to 8.1 on Monday, and battery life has been a little over 8 hours this weeks. I've tried restarts, discharging, and making sure my settings are as close to what they were before as possible (in particular, some background app refreshes were enabled after the update), and nothing's helped.

Wish there was an easy way to turn off Apple Pay (without removing the cards) to see if that's affecting my battery life.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Cleaning the ram is not necessary with iPhones. It never was. Maybe on android but not needed in iOS. iOS uses the ram just the way which is optimal for itself.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I was consistently getting over 10 hours of usage on my 6 Plus on 8.0. Skipped 8.0.1 and 8.0.2. Updated to 8.1 on Monday, and battery life has been a little over 8 hours this weeks. I've tried restarts, discharging, and making sure my settings are as close to what they were before as possible (in particular, some background app refreshes were enabled after the update), and nothing's helped.

Wish there was an easy way to turn off Apple Pay (without removing the cards) to see if that's affecting my battery life.
agree i think the nfc is always on like siri raise to speak on the 4S was a drainer. but does removing the card even guarantee that the nfc will be off?

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Cleaning the ram is not necessary with iPhones. It never was. Maybe on android but not needed in iOS. iOS uses the ram just the way which is optimal for itself.
Not necessary on Android either. All operating systems work the same way.

You close an app when it misbehaves. Same as iOS

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
agree i think the nfc is always on like siri raise to speak on the 4S was a drainer. but does removing the card even guarantee that the nfc will be off?
It turns off the nfc. I removed my card and got noticeably better battery life. I tested over the last two days. I prefer a longer battery over a mobile payment solution it others may prefer the latter.

misslia

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I think it improved my battery not saying it wasn't good before but it did make it better

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
It turns off the nfc. I removed my card and got noticeably better battery life. I tested over the last two days. I prefer a longer battery over a mobile payment solution it others may prefer the latter.
can anyone else comment on this?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It *seems* higher for me (6) but my usage pattern this week isn't the same as last week so it could be a placebo effect. I was travelling and it could just be that Google Maps chews through the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.