iphone 6 issue: A step back? Or a glitch?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by heycal, Dec 4, 2014.

1. heycal macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from an iphone 4 to an iphone 6. On both phones, I jacked the text size up as about as far as it can go in order to be able to read my SMS and emails quickly without reaching for my glasses.

On the iphone 4, SMS and email were about the only things affected by the text size adjustment, and very wisely so. Others areas not suitable for large text were left at default size.

But on iphone 6, adjusting the text size affects many areas, and this a terrible thing. For example, the phone numbers and email fields, etc for a particular contact are so huge now that I literally can not read them since they disappear off the screen. If someone asked me for someone's phone number, I would have to go into settings and resize the font just to be able to see the entire number. I actually had to do this today because I wanted to call someone from my home phone but could not see what their number was with the big text activated.

Other fields are effected negatively too. Far too many of them. What was Apple thinking?? It's so thoughtless and careless, and doesn't take into account practical concerns and real world use.

How is that the iphone 4 handled the issue perfectly -- increasing what could be reasonably be increased, and leaving everything else the same -- and the "new and improved" 6 makes such a mess of things?

Is this the way things will forever be for those of us who want large text for our messages, or will they fix this problem somehow?

2. Fzang, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Sounds like you need to use the "zoom" feature. Dynamic text makes the text-size system-wide now. While iMessages makes bigger bubbles to accommodate outrageously large fonts, most text fields now say
    "PHONE NU..." and "EMAIL AD...".

Edit: played around with the zoom feature. It's like you need a course on how to control it.

Have you tried increasing the text size moderately and enabling bold fonts?

3. heycal, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, zoom is no easy thing to use.:) Only use it in pinch. It's not practical as the default setting.

I already have things bolded (and my home screen zoomed), but my aging eyes unfortunately need about the hugest text possible for me to be able to read messages without my glasses. One of the reasons I got the iphone was because, like Samsungs, it's one of the few phones that offers truly large text. Unfortunately, unlike Samsung, or even iphone 4, there was no thought given to what areas should be increased and which should be left alone. (Actually Samsung took it one step better: it enlarged the message and email text to maximum, but only increased the size of other fields to the largest size that was practical. The best of both worlds.)

Why would they implement such a change for the iphone 6?? There's almost no benefit of it, and serious drawbacks. It's so pointless.

Should we assume this change is permanent?

4. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I agree with all these posts, I have had the dynamic zoom on since i have had the phone 6 plus. I also had the text set larger. NOT a good combo. I just turned off the zoom, and am keeping the larger text and we'll se how that works. I may end going back the the zoom and reducing the text size. Gosh, first world problems I tell ya.
    But this is like a desktop computer. You can type in your commands, use a mouse and and click the icons, OR you can use the drop down from the tool bar. Whatever tickles your fancy.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Not sure you are following. The iP6/6+ have a standard/zoom display mode in the display settings. This is separate from pinch to zoom. With zoom mode selected it makes it all very usable. You can modify text size additionally if you wish but the default makes it more usable across the board without the issues you mention (giant test in some areas) I changed to that mode on like day 2 or 3 and have not looked back.

6. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you're following. Enabling zoom or not doesn't affect things that much. I have zoom enabled, and the text size jacked up large enough so I can read it, which is near max, which is great for sms and email but renders many other fields, like contacts, unreadable. I've also tried it without zoom enabled. Same problem.

7. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

OK Well on every 6 I have seen there is substantial difference between standard and zoom without doing any further adjustments. But if yours isn't then no idea why. Of course if you have text up as high as it will go then some things are going to be difficult to view and manage. Sorry cant really help then.

8. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is the problem each and every iphone 6 has, and a problem the 4 did not have. It's a major stumble backwards.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

One other difference there, you could only go up to iOS 7 on an iPhone 4, while iPhone 6 doesn't run anything less than iOS 8--it can and be tied even more to iOS changes and not as much to iPhone changes.

10. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps so. Regardless of what's causing the problem, my phone 6 isn't as good as my iphone 4 in this department. It's a big step backwards for Apple.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Have you reported this bug to Apple?

12. heycal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have. I suspect they are hard at work addressing my concerns as we speak...