Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
A month ago my iPhone 6 (bought at launch) started shutting down unexpectedly at 30%. I updated to iOS 10.2.1 at that point, but it did not fix the issue. Since then, it's been getting worse, shutting off at 50%, and the percentage being pretty erratic in general (jumping up drastically once plugged in, losing 10% within a second, etc.).

Under Settings>Battery, I also have the message "Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced" so I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment.

The Genius ran a battery diagnostic and the battery came up as healthy, with 92% capacity/health. I asked her to run it again since that didn't make sense, and she got the same result. She suggested updating the operating system, so that night I updated to 10.3.1, but I'm having the same problems with unexpected shutdowns and erratic percentages.

What is going on? Is Apple's in-store Battery Diagnostic simply wrong? It seems pretty clear the battery is defective, or there is a major software glitch that has made it through 10.2 through 10.3.1.

What can I do? Should I have Apple replace the battery for $80, or is something else going on here?

Thanks

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Bump. Can anyone help out? The Genius told em to try Restoring the Phone as new if the software update didn't work. I don't see why the battery issue would be stored in the backup of my phone, though, and I'd rather not start from a blank slate.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Yep, its the battery.
Are you under Applecare warranty?
If not you'll have to pay for them to replace the battery.
Explain to them that the ios software update didn't resolve the issue.
No, I'm not under AppleCare as the phone is 2.5 years old. She explained I could "override" the diagnostic and pay for a new battery, which is fine, but that I should try the iOS update and restoring the phone as new first. I'm fine to pay $80 for the new battery, but not if I'm still going to have the same problem

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
That's a well known problem with the 6 and 6S models and it's in fact the battery.
It kinda sucks that Apple has a free battery replacement program for the 6S but not the iphone 6 since many of those devices have the same problem.
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/
Thanks. I assumed as much. There's even that notice under Battery saying it may need to be services. The software itself realizes there's an issue.

Anyway, I think I'm going to Restore as New, just to be 100% sure the issue is still present, then restore from Backup, and get back with Apple

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks. I assumed as much. There's even that notice under Battery saying it may need to be services. The software itself realizes there's an issue.

Anyway, I think I'm going to Restore as New, just to be 100% sure the issue is still present, then restore from Backup, and get back with Apple

Yes, even the software system recognizes that the battery has a problem.
Not sure what BS that apple rep was giving you, a 2.5 year old device and she's telling you its at 92% battery capacity and everything is fine.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
I just Setup the Phone as New and the battery % is still totally erratic. It jumped from 45% down to 23% all of a sudden. Looks like I'm back to the Apple store

Reactions: Applejuiced

jbfunk

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2017
I have the same problem with my iPhone 6. I purchased it in August of 2015 so it's part of the same batch of phones that are being recalled right now. Apple has acknowledged there were a batch of batteries that were exposed to air that is apparently the cause of the defective phones. So, even in that admission, Apple is implying the issue is unrelated to the model of iPhone.

It's very upsetting. My phone at this point will crash even at 96%! When I restore it, it will show 93% power. That is clearly not normal! The phone is almost unusable other than for playing downloaded music as a glorified iPod. I went to an Apple Store yesterday in the Short Hills mall in NJ to exchange my battery under the 6s recall.

I was told I would have to purchase a new battery which is ridiculous considering my battery is a defective product. The technician also did admit there are a lot of iPhone 6 owners coming in with the same issue. The store manger however, after he became involved at my request, quite simply refused to give me a battery for free.

From what I've researched, Apple is trying to avoid doing a recall of the iPhone 6 to the point this is evolving into a cover-up given the number of phones suffering from the defective battery. The only reason the 6s even has a recall is because of a Chinese Consumer Protection Agency that is part of the Chinese government doing an investigation of the 6s and the 6 and demanding Apple issue a recall for both the 6s and the 6 because of the defective battery.

I have also heard through blog posts that there are examples of Apple Stores giving iPhone 6 owners a new battery under the the 6s recall so it is possible apparently. The bottom line is it is important for people to take their phones in and at least force Apple to document the defective batteries in the iPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.