iPhone 6+ Landscape Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dezza85, Feb 6, 2015.

1. dezza85 macrumors member

So after a thread the other day asking advice on as to buy a 6+ now or not, I took the plunge and am so far very happy. I definitely never have to check my pockets with the fear I've lost it.

Anyhow...

I really like using my devices in landscape and that was one of the big benefits for me over the 6. What I'm really struggling with is the landscape keyboard?! What have they made the buttons smaller just to squeeze some extras that are hardly used in?

Can you disable these? If not are we left to a third party keyboard? If that's the case what are people using?

Thanks

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You're stuck with it, the same way that you're stuck with the awful period button next to the smaller space bar in the web search portrait keyboard. Terrible choices by Apple!

3. MacLappy macrumors regular

If you use the zoom option in display you do get the bigger keyboard. The draw back is that it zoom mode, many of the special iPhone 6 plus function such as "landscape mode on home screen" or "2 panel style in mail" is replace with the more conventional one found on the iPhone 6.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Is it really "smaller" or is it that it just seems smaller because you're using it in landscape.

You can change the keyboard you know.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes it really is smaller and true, he could install a buggy third party keyboard...

[​IMG]

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

It's wider but shorter I guess.

SwiftKey just updated their keyboard. Granted I haven't used one since right after they came out - felt the stock keyboard was great. Seems like I dodged a bullet with all the problems recently. I never experienced them while I used SwiftKey and Swype.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The portrait keyboard has larger keys than the non-zoomed landscape keyboard, which is kinda annoying.

[​IMG]

8. lordofthereef, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They keys aren't actually smaller in width (they are wider and shorter but that has nothing to do with extra keys since none were added vertically); don't take your eyes for it. Measure them physically. All they've done is rotate the portrait keyboard, shorten and fatten the keys a bit and add a bunch of keys, which I agree are rather useless. I can see why people are frustrated, but I can also see why Apple made this decision; they didn't want landscape keyboard taking up even more sxreen real estate. I have no idea why they opted for useless cut and paste keys...I don't use landscape much so I havent decided to go out and search from soemthibg third party. That said, when I tried swtor for a while it worked fine and wasn't buggy. I just personally don't get the hype of one handed texting.

9. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Really what Apple ought to do is offer a split keyboard option like the one on the iPad. Would make landscape typing on the plus much easier.

10. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Okay well regardless of if the keys are marginally bigger I smaller it definitely feels that way, especially as you have to reach past the new keys.

A split keyboard would be a great option, it could even put the additional keys in the centre with the letters closer to your fingers.

I have considered a third party keyboard on both my iPad and iPhone 5 and I found them to just not have the feel and flow of apples one.

11. bentleyjackson macrumors newbie

I like that idea too, it's really awkward to use the landscape keyboard on the plus since the QWERTY keys are in the middle. Worse than with previous iPhones

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I wasn't disagreeing with you :)

I just thought I would point something out that wasn't being quite accurately stated in the thread.

The landscape keyboard is crap. I daresay it is worse than on a smaller device. Try some third party options. For now, that is your only option, really.

13. naimmkassim macrumors newbie

For me apple is everything that showing simplicity. It should be as simple as possible, no complexity.

14. businezguy macrumors 6502

I'm also concerned about the same thing as dez. Is there a way to force the portrait keyboard to work in landscape as well, even if through a third party? I thought there was some third party keyboard that did that?

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You can put the phone in zoom mode. That will get you the standard old-style landscape keyboard, but at a price as things change elsewhere.

16. businezguy macrumors 6502

What are the steps to do this? I googled it and didn't find the steps and tried the zoom setting and they didn't make a difference. Thanks!

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Settings/Display & Brightness/Display Zoom/View/Zoomed

18. businezguy macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just made the setting changes and I'll give it a try.

19. dsi76 macrumors member

If I put my 6+ in landscape, instead of holding it and typing with my thumbs (which is hard for my reach), I find it better to set the device down on a table and type on it as if I'm on an iPad... But it hurts the eyes.