iPhone 6 Lifeproof Fre - Only Apple Lightning Cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CoachAl11, Apr 3, 2015.

1. CoachAl11 macrumors newbie

Hello All

New to this forum after doing some research on the following. Looking forward to other experience and input.

Just got my daughter the Lifeproof Fre case for her iphone 6. Come to realize that you can only use an Apple Lightning Charger in this case.

While her phone came with one (obviously) this new design make this case very user unfriendly to say the least.

I have a number of cables from well known third party vendors they dont fit. If you read the reviews for the Fre on the Lifeproof website, mnany people are complaining about this.

A popular third party cable listed on Amazon actually states their cable does not work with iPhone 6 Lifeproof cables.

And email to Lifeproof generated this response:

"Our cases are not tested with any other accessories besides the ones that come with your phones."

Anyone else have this experience?
    Anyone else have any solutions? Really dont want to be spending $20 on an Apple cable ($30 if you want the 6").

Thanks!

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Yeah, I have a Fre on my 5s. In addition to finding a cable that actually works, it also has to fit the Fre. I've actually gotten over it though because it's hard to beat the utility of the Fre attached to the belt clip.

3. CoachAl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

She had the 5 and also had a Fre case.

We used third party cords all the time and it was not an issue.

We still have the 5 case and I compared the two, it is noticeably different.

The 5 case is MUCH wider.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The 5 case is wider? Wow!

5. Polo2883 macrumors regular

On my 6+ nuud case I bought luxtr cables and they work

6. CoachAl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. maliu macrumors 6502a

I have the 12" that fits and ordered two 3 footers. I'll confirm if the 3 footers fit when I get them.

8. CoachAl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Received all the cords today from Amazon

The 3ft cord from IXCC fits and the 6ft cord Luxtr fits the case also.

Now all we have to do is see how long they last.....

If I have any quality issues, I will post them here.....

9. Xjohnpaulx macrumors newbie

Xjohnpaulx

This is annoying. Seems the iPhone 6 case has a smaller lightning access port than any other LifeProof case out there, so it took cable makers by surprise. I have a lot of cables I can't use anymore, and still haven't found a durable feeling 6 foot cable.

10. sw19 macrumors newbie

11. sw19 macrumors newbie

I'm using the Apple Lightning cable that came with the iPhone 6. There's an issue, even with this cable and the Lifeproof Fre. It doesn't always make a complete connection. I plug it in only to find out that it's popped out and lost contact. I'm about to use a Dremel tool to make that port on the case a touch larger. If you take the case off, put the Lightning cable in, you can see that there is no leeway. It's too tight around the plug.

12. Xjohnpaulx macrumors newbie

Xjohnpaulx

Did you just get this life proof case? I am on my second LifeProof case for the six and this one allows almost all modern lightning cables. They definitely redesigned that opening from the first version.
    Some point not too long ago even Amazon redesigned their lightning cables with a more compact head. Their current ones fit in this revised life proof case.

13. sw19 macrumors newbie

I purchased it last month. But, how would I know if it's a revised version? The Apple Lightning plug does go in but, really needs to be pushed into it to be properly seated.

14. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Your lightning port sounds smaller than mine. There is room to spare between my port and cable ends.

15. sw19 macrumors newbie

Contacted Lifeproof. They're sending me the latest version of the case. Can't complain about their customer service and warranty