iPhone 6 - Location Service - "Motion Calibration"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Damolee, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Damolee macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

This may have been mentioned already, but are any other 6 owners getting a lot of location usage with regards to "Motion Calibration" ?

I was going to post in the iOS 8 section, but then it occurred to me that this never happened with my 5S running 8.02.

For some reason, this particular setting causes a lot of random location usage. I had the same setting enabled on the 5S and never saw this going off every 5 minutes or so.

Definitely a battery drain issue there.

Nobody seems to have an explanation as to why it happens on the 6, but not the 5S.

I can just disable it but im not sure at what cost.

For the record, phone was setup from new. After restoring from back-up, I assumed that was the culprit at first.

Would also be helpful if any 6 Plus owners could chime in on their findings too. Thanks

2. Shan S. macrumors member

iPhone 6 - Location Service - "Motion Calibration"

Well don't forget the iPhone 6/6+ have the motion sensors built in... While the 5s did not have one

I have the feeling the phone is using the location services to ensure the sensors are capturing the data correctly

I have the 6+, but also have some other apps using the location data. So the location symbol is always displayed for me.

I have not noticed a huge battery hit with these apps on as I believe they are pretty intelligent in their location use.

3. Damolee thread starter macrumors 6502

The 5S had the M7 though.

So what is new that would use location services in that sense?