Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 6 M8 / Health / Steps Accuracy

psneddon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Glasgow
Hi,

Is anyone else seeing inaccurate results with the reporting of Steps / Flights Climbed / Walking Distance with the iPhone 6?

I always found the 5S to be pretty accurate with counting steps. I'm seeing the 6 count loads of steps when I'm driving, and also the Flights Climbed seems to record me doing down flights and completely miss me going up them.

On another note, I noticed when I opened up the Health app that it was not capturing any data since I restored from back on Friday, however opening the app seems to have caused it to start recording the data now.

Paul.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Uh-oh! M8 better step up, or this could be the beginning of Steps-gate, and the downfall of Apple as we know it :rolleyes:

Comment

jeffm5690

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I am not getting anything at all and I have motion calibration enabled...

Any suggestions?

Comment

psneddon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Glasgow
I am not getting anything at all and I have motion calibration enabled...

Any suggestions?

Did you also restore from backup like me? The only other thing I did after I noticed it was not recording data was to delete all the old (pre-backup) data points for the steps and distance metrics. Then I restarted the phone and a few minutes later I noticed it was recording the data again for the first time since Friday.

Comment

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I've a 6 plus and not sure how to enable the step counter. Do I need to download a stand alone app or is it just a case of enabling it somewhere.... Been i the health app and can't see anything there

Set mine up and it's working great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 510
Comment

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Yeah I worked it out lol

How does the sleep analytics work? Need to leave phone on mattress while asleep?

Comment

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Yeah I worked it out lol

How does the sleep analytics work? Need to leave phone on mattress while asleep?

Yea. I use this app for sleep analytics
MotionX 24/7: Sleeptracker, Sleep Cycle Alarm, Snore, Apnea, Heart Rate Monitor, Weight Loss, Activity Tracker by MotionX™ https://appsto.re/us/0pTgE.i

It even records snoring if you set it too. Other than that it'll detect your motion in your sleep, and has a detailed layout from the app. And pushes the info to the ios8 Health app.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 239
Comment

tekchic

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yea. I use this app for sleep analytics
MotionX 24/7: Sleeptracker, Sleep Cycle Alarm, Snore, Apnea, Heart Rate Monitor, Weight Loss, Activity Tracker by MotionX™ https://appsto.re/us/0pTgE.i

It even records snoring if you set it too. Other than that it'll detect your motion in your sleep, and has a detailed layout from the app. And pushes the info to the ios8 Health app.

I just started using this app last night! I like it so far. I'm a little paranoid about having it under my pillow and accidentally "oopsing" it onto the carpet while sleeping though, but we'll see. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I was surprised at how accurate it was as well. 94% "sleep efficiency" last night -- I'm curious to see how that varies w/a rough night's sleep vs a good night.

Comment

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I just started using this app last night! I like it so far. I'm a little paranoid about having it under my pillow and accidentally "oopsing" it onto the carpet while sleeping though, but we'll see. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I was surprised at how accurate it was as well. 94% "sleep efficiency" last night -- I'm curious to see how that varies w/a rough night's sleep vs a good night.

Yea if it does happen shouldn't be to bad. I have a gel case on it and carpet in my bedroom. Haven't had any falls yet leaving my phone beside me for the app to work.

Comment

jrhop

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.0.2, I have found the steps recording is fairly accurate, however it is incredibly easy to trick it, or for it think you are walking.

If you lift the phone up and down repeatedly it records it as a step, try it out yourself!

Comment

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.0.2, I have found the steps recording is fairly accurate, however it is incredibly easy to trick it, or for it think you are walking.

If you lift the phone up and down repeatedly it records it as a step, try it out yourself!

No kidding. It is just a simple accelarometer with some software running it.

Comment

MarkNS

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
I have a 5s and my wife has a 6. We get wildly different results in steps and distance when we walk together. Oddly, it records far fewer steps for her and she's 5'1" while I'm 5'11". Obviously her pace is much shorter than one. Flights of stairs climbed aren't recieded for either of us.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.