iPhone 6 Magnetic Lens possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcmofo, Sep 16, 2014.

1. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

Does anyone know if the bezel around the camera lens on the iPhone 6 will be ferrous so that you could use an external lens to magnetically attach to the phone without an adaptor or metal plate?

Even if the ring is not ferrous, it should make aligning the lens a much easier task. Anyone else excited for a new crop of aftermarket lenses for wide/macro shots on their new iPhone 6?

2. thenewone macrumors member

I am hopeful it's magnetic! Apple has a few patents on attaching external lenses to a protruding camera ring, one of them is bayonet-style, but the other is magnetic!

Though I feel like they would have shown it off at the event if that were the case...it would have been a way for them to justify the protrusion and lessen the disdain of the many who loathe it.

Still hopeful :rolleyes:

3. kalebnate macrumors 6502

I hope so, as this justifies the sticking out camera for me !

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I think Apple would have mentioned this in the keynote as a selling point.

5. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I agree, if it were a feature they would have mentioned it. But they could simply make the ring out of a harder and ferrous material instead of aluminum, and let 3rd party manufactures figure out the rest. Thats what I'm hoping for anyway. I'll be testing it this friday just in case!

6. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily, if they have no peripherals to showcase with it then it's sort of pointless. Also, that sort of detracts from their keynote points about the 'new' camera, it just makes people think they're not getting the best pictures right out of the box.

7. seebee3 macrumors newbie

Judging by the presale numbers, they obviously did not need any additional selling points. I do hope they bring it out at some point!

8. thenewone macrumors member

It is!! Let the iPhone 6/+ [magnetic] camera-lens accessories begin! Can't wait :D

9. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I have the 6 Plus and found that the OIS magnets interfere with the lens.

10. meagain macrumors 68030

Not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain a bit more please?

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what I thought! :) I'm wondering if the possibility is still up in the air for the 6 without OIS. Sent from my iPad.

12. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Perhaps means that a stronger magnetic field will interfere with the probably delicate OIS mechanism ... affect its alignment etc

13. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

For us 6- people (w/o OIS) this seems like a viable idea. I asked it a while back in the accessory section with no traction. I hope people jump on this. Having used the olloclip and being disappointed I think this opens really up options. Moreover, using a traditional case with a larger camera lens opening would negate the need to take off the case like most of the previous lenses required.

14. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I feel like the magnets in the lens would be directly over the OIS magnets in the camera based on the camera design. [​IMG]