iPhone 6+--map, etc., display 45 degrees off

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WestofYouLB, Dec 19, 2015.

1. WestofYouLB macrumors member

WestofYouLB

When I use anything dependent on direction (North, etc.) such as a map or a star finder (but not one of the compass apps I have) the display is about 35-45 degrees off to one side.

When progressing down a street, the cursor shows that the car is pointed off to the west about 40 degrees, so the car is supposedly slipping sideways. When I try to use the star finder, I have to guess how far off it is, and I'm not smart enough to do this accurately.

This was true with my former iPhone 4S. Still true with the new phone.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are you talking about using Apple Maps? A screenshot would be nice.

3. WestofYouLB, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Sorry about the delay replying. This time of year is what it has always been.

Google Maps.Sorry about the screenshot, I'llhave to try to follow up when I'm in the car next. But the visual is this: There is a line showing the correct route, and a cursor which is in the form of a sort of teardrop, with the pointy end presumably pointing along the line as we progress.

But instead, the pointer is off to the left about 40-45 degrees.

Also, sky-mapping apps show any star or planet about 40 degrees off where they are. Result being I can only really find the moon or Jupiter or Venus.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Do you have "true north" selected in settings?

5. WestofYouLB thread starter macrumors member

WestofYouLB

Thanks for following up. I may, but I'm looking for where it appears. I'll let you know when I find the setting.

five minutes later: Yes, I have True North selected.