Iphone 6+ model a1524 on verizon network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burritolove, Dec 3, 2014.

1. burritolove macrumors member

I have a friend that works at apple and he can buy me the fully unlocked SIM card free a1524 model of the 6+

Will this work on Verizons network. The hardware seems to be identical except for a few extra lte bands. This is the model sprint sells but differs in that it's factory unlocked.

I called Verizon and was told yes but wanted to see what more knowledgeable people have to say.

I currently have a 5s on Verizon.

2. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

The A1524 is a Sprint phone, and Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA, so I'd think so.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If it's actually unlocked it should work fine.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it's a Sprint iPhone, the only unlock you could possibly have with it is an international unlock.

Either your friend is misinformed or willing to violate Apple's agreement with Sprint about entering IMEIs into the domestic unlock database.

Sprint never unlocks for domestic use.

A fully paid for Sprint iPhone is contract free. Nothing more.

You can believe your friend over me if you like because he works for Apple and you know him. I'm just some random person on an internet forum.

But remember what I said once you start to encounter the moments of rage and frustration in trying to get an "unlocked" Sprint iPhone unlocked.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

My understanding is that you either need the verizon model iphone or the "unlocked" iphone (which I do not think the 6 has the official unlocked version yet). The tmobile SIM free will work if you already have an activated verizon sim card, but if you do not already have a verizon account, you have to buy the verizon model. The reason for this is b.c verizon will not activate phones that they do not sell, but already having a verizon (activated) SIM will let you bypass that rule.

I hope that is correct. There are so many damn rules to remember when buying a contract free iphone. I just always buy the verizon version b.c it will work on 3/4 of the major carriers (not sprint).

6. KPOM macrumors G5

If it's a Sprint phone, it won't work, since it's locked. If it's the International Unlocked version sold in most other countries (except the US and China), it will work as long as you already have an active Verizon SIM. The CDMA radios are activated on the new iPhones. You can even use an unlocked T-Mobile or AT&T iPhone 6 with an active Verizon SIM.

7. burritolove thread starter macrumors member

it is NOT the sprint model phone, its the apple employee discount phone which is carrier unlocked and sim free. it happens to be the "sprint" model but really is the truly unlocked model. ie, if your an apple employee (maybe a consumer too, idk), this is the phone you can buy unlocked.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

It should work on Verizon, then, since the AT&T and T-Mobile versions work.

9. nateo200, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well the AT&T and T-Mobile models work on Verizon just fine....even if you don't get CDMA service you'll get LTE along with VoLTE....I pretty much don't even worry about CDMA service anymore since where there is CDMA there is LTE. You can't start a new line with this model of phone but if you have an existing verizon line with an LTE phone then you should just be able to pop the SIM card in and it'll work. My Verizon will list it as a "Non Verizon Device" or "Unknown Device" but it'll work for sure. CDMA should work though, its been documented many times on here and other sites. That's provided its not a Sprint iPhone though, it has to be the regular A1524 and unlocked.

EDIT: If it says anywhere that its Sprint I'd be suspicious....Sprint's A1524 is also the international model so thats the more apprpriate term....regardless if you go on Amazon you can get Unlocked iPhone's from the UK or Australia that are the A1524 model.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Negative.
    Even though both carriers are cdma the sprint iphone will not work on verizon.
    Its locked to sprint only.
    Try not to assume cause every carrier and device is different with many variables involved.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

The CDMA radios work in the iPhone 6. Turn off LTE if you want, and you can connect to 1xRTT on an unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 6 with a Verizon SIM.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I know I forgot to add that in my post, What I meant to say is that even if CDMA didn't work I wouldn't fret it with LTE being everywhere.