iPhone 6 Model A1549 - totally redundant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PkennethV, Sep 9, 2014.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I feel like I must be missing something, so please enlighten me...but from looking at this chart here...
    https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

...it seems to me like Model A1586 covers all of the bands Model A1549 covers, plus an additional 4 bands?

If that is correct, then Model A1586 is capable of operating on any of the bands Model A1549 operates on? In essence, making Model A1586 the straight-up superior model? There seems to be no reason at all to get Model A1549?

That doesn't seem to make sense... :confused:

2. Münchener Guest

I have the exact same doubt.

The only logical explanation I've found so far is that in Europe Apple can only sell fully unlocked phones, so they built a Europe/Asia model that contains the 4 extra LTE bands that only a few carriers use (including US's Sprint).

Meanwhile, Apple deliberately make things confusing on their LTE info page, listing only the US models as LTE compatible with US carriers, a claim that appears to be misleading and false. I guess they don't want Europeans to go to US to buy iPhones by the bucketload, since there seems to be a 30%-40% price difference.

Unlike what happened with the iPhone 5S, this time it really seems there's a fully loaded, all-included global model: the A1524 and A1586.