iPhone 6 Model A1549 - totally redundant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PkennethV, Sep 9, 2014.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    I feel like I must be missing something, so please enlighten me...but from looking at this chart here...

...it seems to me like Model A1586 covers all of the bands Model A1549 covers, plus an additional 4 bands?

If that is correct, then Model A1586 is capable of operating on any of the bands Model A1549 operates on? In essence, making Model A1586 the straight-up superior model? There seems to be no reason at all to get Model A1549?

That doesn't seem to make sense... :confused:
  2. Münchener Guest

I have the exact same doubt.

The only logical explanation I've found so far is that in Europe Apple can only sell fully unlocked phones, so they built a Europe/Asia model that contains the 4 extra LTE bands that only a few carriers use (including US's Sprint).

Meanwhile, Apple deliberately make things confusing on their LTE info page, listing only the US models as LTE compatible with US carriers, a claim that appears to be misleading and false. I guess they don't want Europeans to go to US to buy iPhones by the bucketload, since there seems to be a 30%-40% price difference.

Unlike what happened with the iPhone 5S, this time it really seems there's a fully loaded, all-included global model: the A1524 and A1586.