iPhone 6+ movie streaming problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike Boreham, May 2, 2015.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

My iPhone 6+ streams movies and video as if it doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Heavily pixelated, stuttering etc.

My iPad Mini 3 and rMBP both stream the same source material from the same wifi network perfectly.

I suspect the problem is related to wifi because sometimes it streams better from the mobile signal with wifi turned off.

Are there any settings which affect this?

I think it is probably a hardware fault.

Thanks

2. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Most of my testing of the iPhone 6+ streaming has been at one location, (my daughters house).

I took the phone in to the local Apple re-seller where my daughter lives, and compared it with an assistant's using the shop wifi...mine (and his) was perfect. Could not induce pixelation or pauses with any of 3 or 4 sources.

So something else about my daughter's wifi environment (interference ?) is badly affecting the iPhone6+ but not the iPad Mini 3 or rMBP.

Assistant said shop wifi is 5Ghz whereas daughters is 2.4Ghz, which could be a factor perhaps.

Shop wifi tested on Speedtest at 12Mbps and daughter's wifi is 17Mbps.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

What app are you using to stream?

For example, I know the youtube app is horrible, and am using the protube app instead.

4. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

ProTube doesn't stutter but it does pause after a minute where the iPad Mini doesn't. Also streaming from SkyGO, BBC