iPhone 6+ NAND Performance Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VoilaiPhone, Nov 1, 2014.

1. VoilaiPhone, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

VoilaiPhone macrumors regular

Done by PhoneDoctor app

Capacity: 64GB
    Factory : F2

my write speed is lower than other 64gb model by 140 mbps average.. guess my phone is lucked out?

Attached Files:

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I find a huge variability in read and write scores when I use Phone Doctor (write speeds between 80 and 115 MB/sec, read speeds between 590 and 870 MB/sec).

3. VoilaiPhone thread starter macrumors regular

There have been reports coming from Korea that 64GB version of iPhone 6+ have different types of NAND. Some lucky ones have MLC-type NAND, which shows a better performance than the ones with TLC.

Some 64GB versions shows the read speed between 200 min to 290 max and read speed 690 to 800

4. EltonT macrumors member

EltonT

How do you check the NAND type?

5. VoilaiPhone thread starter macrumors regular

You have to tear your phone apart. I've done it.

SK Hynix is the only company that provides MLC-type NAND for iPhone 6+ 64GB Model.

Here's what I posted earlier.

According to a news report from Korea, there are three companies that provide NAND for iPhone 6+ 64GB.

Companies: SanDisk, Toshiba, and SK Hynix.

Hynix only provides MLC. The other two provides TLC.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What type of performance are we talking about? In my ignorance, I don't think its going to be noticeable in real world usage.

7. VoilaiPhone thread starter macrumors regular

It does make a difference. Write speed affects OS performance..

8. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

No doubt that is true. However, when I use my iP6+ it feels super responsive despite the fact that my write/read speeds seem to suggest I have the TLC NAND.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not arguing that it won't affect performance but how much real world performance? Are we talking about being slow by seconds, thousandths or milliseconds? On most usages, will it be noticeable?

10. VoilaiPhone thread starter macrumors regular

By seconds, stutters, etc.

It is noticeable. Plus, you want the best hardware for the money you spent. Am I wrong?

----------

Just hope that it is not SanDisk..

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

How? And do you have actual proof that the speeds of TLC NAND will cause lower performance on a mobile device?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you provide the statistics to back up that claim?

I'm not arguing that different memory makers will have different performance results but I do find it hard to believe that a given NAND memory operation will literally be seconds slower from one maker to another. Memory operations are typically in the millisecond range and to have one that takes a full second or seconds seems kind of hard to believe.

13. VoilaiPhone thread starter macrumors regular

Look up the difference between MLC and TLC on Google..

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I know the difference. In fact, are you sure you don't mean SLC?

You did not answer my question. Is there an actual, measurable performance drop in OS responsiveness on a mobile device due to the difference in write speed on TLC over MLC? Where are the figures that back that up?

----------

Do you have a video or some other proof that shows what you're claiming here?

And what's wrong with SanDisk?

15. legioxi macrumors 6502a

This is the first I've heard of anyone caring about the speed of phone storage. Nothing on the phone is going to need the top of the line solid state tech. It certainly isn't going to be noticeable to the end user.

16. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

cheap

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my point, the OP has failed to produce any statistic to show any difference between different memory/storage manufacturers on the iPhone. If there is a difference we're probably looking at milliseconds and that isn't noticeable.

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

actually sandisk is normally one of the best out there. they did have some cheap ultra cards that caused issues with gopro's though

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ITs definitely one of the more popular ones. I've never had any issues with the ones I've owned.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That only states that the 128GB IP6+ is using the TLC memory and that its slower. There's no actual statistics discussing how slow it is. I stand by my opinion that its probably not going to be noticeable in real world situations.

I guess though if you're concerned, get the 64GB iPhone 6 plus and you'll get the faster storage type.

21. themyst macrumors 6502

That app showed my speeds as 254MB write, 758MB read. My write is faster but my read is slower.

edit - just ran the test three times, second one 229/587 third one 271/633