iPhone 6 New sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trey M, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Trey M, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the apparent new sim card found in the iPhone 6.

I went into a Verizon store today and they confirmed there will be new sim cards for the iPhone 6 (something about NFC compatibility), but I found it interesting I hadn't heard this info on this site or anywhere else for that matter. Does anyone know anything about the new sim card (size), how it will be different than the current nano sim, and if there will be zero compatibility between an iPhone 5 sim and an iPhone 6 sim?

I had to pre-order the iPhone using my Dad's upgrade (hence, the phone is coming pre-programmed with a sim card hooked up to his number). I was hoping to just throw my iPhone 5's nano-sim in the new phone and see it work but the more I think about it the less likely I think that'll be possible. My only worry is that I'll receive my iPhone so late in the day the Verizon store will be closed :(

2. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

3. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Even if theres any truth to this, which theres not, Apple Pay won't be active till October so not having NFC be functional is not important on launch day.

4. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

No I agree with you as far as NFC, it's just that what the Verizon representative told me was the reasoning for there being a new sim card (trust me, I trust these forum members than Verizon/Apple reps most of the time). However, if there is no reason to believe I need to get a new sim card, then that's fantastic news. I really don't want to have to go to the Verizon store when I first get my new phone!

For that matter, has anyone heard anything that would lend credence to their being anything different about an iPhone 6's sim card versus a regular nano sim?

5. usc0315 macrumors newbie

New Nano Sim

According to AT&T rep the new nano sim has access to 7 new LTE bands. I had the same issue that messed up 2 lines. Hope this helps

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The new AT&T sim is for provisioning, and VoLTE support... and also for NFC... so all of the above are sort of correct:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25095&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37286&mapcode=

"AT&T customers also need a secure element SIM card, which adds an extra layer of protection and stores payment information. The AT&T secure element SIM card has a grey mark in the lower right hand corner for easy identification."

also...

http://about.att.com/story/att_laun...r_m2m_and_connected_device_manufacturers.html

This is the newly released SIM card that allows for better global provisioning per the new GSM specs.

When I spoke to an AT&T employee, it's the second one they said I need, because it allows for better provisioning for services like VoLTE, and global data roaming.

----------

Actually, you're wrong....

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=25095&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=37286&mapcode=

Some mobile payment services DO require a Secure Element SIM Card.

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I moved my nano sim from my 5 to 5s and now to 6+. I haven't received the text messages from AT&T that others have. Do I really need to get a new SIM? I restored via iTunes and it did a carrier update, was that enough?

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Just got back from the ATT store to get my new SIM card. He said it was so Apple Pay would work, and is the same tech used in android phones. (I guess used with google wallet)