iPhone 6?.....No - keeping my iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Morgan Freeman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Morgan Freeman macrumors newbie

Everyone is going to buy the iPhone 6, but instead i will buy the iPad mini retina 3 with cellular, and just use that as my phone, if you are able to do that? Can you receive the 'green';) messages on an iPad mini with sim-card?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'm pretty sure non-iPhoners will not be able to send or receive messages from you. Not certain on that, but pretty sure.

3. Morgan Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sucks if you can't do that... But i do not have android-friends anymore, so don't worry

4. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

I don't think that's possible, as that would require the iPad to have phone service. When you use iMessage your technically using Apple servers and not cellular providers.

5. Morgan Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so you are saying that it would be stupid for me to use my iPhone5-simcard in my mini, as i would only be able to use the data on the sim-card, and not make phonecalls or sms? But im sure you can use iMessage over cellular with iPad, at least it highly believe it.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Green messages. No.

----------

Blue iMessage, yes.
    Green SMS, no.

Hangout/GTalk to Android, yes.

7. Morgan Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well okay, but with IOS 8 i will be able to use green messages and answer phonecalls with my iPad mini as long as i have my iPhone 5 under the same wifi as the iPad, right?

8. dluke88 macrumors newbie

Correct. As this page says you will be able to send and receive the 'green' messages on your iPad.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios8/continuity/

9. Morgan Freeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Green messages is easy to say and understand ;) But thanks!
    Don't you think Apple will make continuity work with cellular in maybe IOS 9 and the next OSX?

10. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

You cannot send or receive SMS on an iPad w/ cellular. There are 3rd party apps you can use. On iOS 8 you will be able to though.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

No, I don't think so. I don't see the benefit to Apple, personally

12. techspin macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen anyone using their iPad as a phone, but I'd imagine a bluetooth headset would make it easier.

13. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Loved you in Shawshank Redemption.

14. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If you want to make/receive calls on the iPad mini and get "green" messages it has to be on the same WiFi network as your iPhone, in iOS8.

I'm not sure if sticking an iPhone SIM in the iPad would circumvent that, but would be interesting to see.

15. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I'll definitely be updating to the iPhone 6. I can't imagine why someone would try to use the iPad mini as a...phone. Lol. Someone just needs to get the 5.5" iPhone 6 and be done with it.

16. Samtb macrumors 65816

I'm curious. What are some of the reasons people are updating to the 6? I can't decide whether I want to or not. I have a 5.

17. mjschabow macrumors 68000

Bigger screen, bigger screen, and bigger screen.

18. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

From reports, tethering the iPad to the iPhone (either Bluetooth or WiFi) will get you the same result. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19387201#post19387201

It won't. The iPad will only ever use the SIM card for data. You might be able to get SMS as alerts but you won't be able to reply to them.

19. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I am paying $25 extra per month to be on a subsidized phone plan, so I might as well get my money's worth by upgrading every two years for only $200. I love my iPhone 5 so I may just move to a contract free plan and stay with the 5.

20. tiartrop macrumors regular

How long have you had your 5 for? If you're happy with it there shouldn't be any reason to upgrade. For me, I depend on my phone a lot and can always benefit from the newer technology. I normally give Apple products 2-4 years lifespan before needing upgrade, I have a first generation iPad that can't do much anymore since it couldn't be upgraded to iOS 7 (and to think that it was only released in 2010!)

21. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Upgrade phone, sell new phone, keep iPhone 5, make a nice profit....

22. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

That assumes the subsidized total over 2 years is less than $450. I pay $25 extra per month, or $600 total, so even if I did that, I would lose $150 just for the effort assuming I could sell it at retail price. The only benefit of a subsidy is that you have an amortized payment. It doesn't mean you pay less. Unless your equivalent contract free plan costs has less than an $18 difference per phone, you aren't making any money off of that deal.

23. Samtb, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

Samtb macrumors 65816

2 years. The only reason id upgrade is for 4g but I only have a 1gb data plan so I don't know of there's a point. I use an ipad for most things other than calling or texting or occassional looking things up on the web.