iPhone 6 not available for in store Personal Pickup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amrabari, Oct 13, 2014.

1. amrabari macrumors member

hi, i will be in NY - InshAllah - on the 4th of November for 3 days and i just wanted to purchase iPhone 6 and have in store Personal Pickup around New York but it keep saying that all the store in NY don't have Personal Pickup..

i am not sure why is that .. i am also going to Orlando .. then i tried to check around Orlando stores but it's still the same ..

may i know why is that please? and is there any advice of buying the iPhone 6 in NY when i am there? anyone know if it's available at the moment in any Apple store? because i heard the demand is on iPhone 6 plus NOT the 6 so hope that i can walk in to the store and buy it .. will that be possible?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Maybe it is because you are ordering from Yemen. When you get to New York, use a hotspot to place your order. Better yet, use VPN from where you are now and try ordering and see if it has to do with where you are ordering from. Please note that they might only keep phones in the store for a few days so you might need to time it carefully. When I ordered my iPhone 6, it said 14 to 21 business days. Then it came in less than 7 business days.

3. amrabari thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your reply, however i just login thru VPN but still the same .. not available in any stores with zip code 10036 ..

do you have any idea how is the stock availability for iPhone 6? can i go to the stores and buy it without any problem?

also do you have any idea about the factory unlock phone if it's available in the stores? as it's not available online ..

thanks again for your help..

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I asked about this at the Apple store just the other day. At that time Apple was not yet selling the unlocked phone. If you can't order unlocked on apple.com, you won't find it in any of their stores. As for stock, there were a number of "stock tracker" apps up when the iPhone 5 came out and Apple pretty quickly shut them down. I would pick the one you want, choose store pickup and see which stores it allows you to sue. Why are you so focused on one zip code when another zip code is a subway ride away? Look for stores that are within the region served by either MTA or one of the other NY transit systems and see if they will let you pick it up there instead.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Good news: iphone 6 is easier to find than 6+.
    Bad news: both are really tough to find.

My *guess* is that the stores you are looking at are sold out. That is why you cannot place an order for pickup. I can tell you from personal experience that most stores tend to get limited quantity (not daily either) that goes fast. Your best hope is to walk in and get lucky. Or keep checking online at various times and find one, buy and then hold.

Another thing - I am not sure on this (someone else please chime in) but I think they only hold the phone bought online for 24 hours for store pick-up. Maybe I was told wrong but when I picked mine up, that's what the guy told me.

Good luck.

6. gmngmn macrumors newbie

I have some concerns about in store pickup system on the Apple online store. Hope you guys have some clues about how that works.

1. If i'm lucky enaugh to find an "available for pickup" in the store i'm looking for and quickly add item to cart (or have the cart filled already), does this "available" stays until i finish the checkout process (minutes)?

2. If i manage to successfully finish the order and pay for the item, what are the chances for the item not to be available for picking up in the store when i arrive?

Thanks

7. amrabari thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure about that, however I just order the iPhone to the hotel.. Did anyone do that before?? Will the carrier deliver the iPhone's to the hotel without any problems??

8. gmngmn macrumors newbie

I order a lot of stuff and delivered to hotels, that should not be a problem. Carriers and hotel people are used to it.

----------

I will answer my own questions, maybe it will help other people:

1. Answer: No.
    You just have to be very fast on the checkout process, otherwise you will lose the pickup availability and will not be able to finish the order. I just lost 3 opportunities today and it can be pretty frustrating. Apple web developers should lock this pickup availability for a few minutes for a better user experience.
    2. Answer: 0 (or almost zero, let's not judge based on a single experience)
    If you manage to pay with the pickup in store option available, you will get the phone in store, most probably within an hour. Again, i had that experience today

9. amrabari thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your reply, however i saw in apple website it says that it need a signature ... will the carriers accept the hotel reception signature?

----------

also thanks for your information and sharing experience here .. it will help me a lot .. thanks again ..