iPhone 6 Not Charging

ds.

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I was having some trouble with my iPhone 6 about 2 and a half months ago, so I switched out back to my old iPhone 5. The 6 just stayed in a drawer since then, and obviously it was dead. I went to go charge it again to get something off of it. Left it plugged in for about 14 hours, and it still didn't turn on. Eventually I got the red battery to show, but the phone itself never turned on past that. Tried plugging it into my laptop and holding the power and home button to do a DFU restore but nothing happens. Any fix for this problem?

TIA

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Could try replacing the battery? The battery might be worn? I had a problem where my battery only last no more than 5 minutes after charge, even though indicator showed 100%. Could be your battery is just worn down so much it can't hold a charge.

Sigp232

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Change your battery I did my 6s+ became brand new again with a clean install. Fast and smooth now.

ds.

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Change your battery I did my 6s+ became brand new again with a clean install. Fast and smooth now.
How easy or hard would you say it was to change the battery out yourself? I'm not horrible at using tools and stuff like this, but I'm a far cry from any sort of skilled person either, so I don't wanna risk it if it's a complicated task.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I was having some trouble with my iPhone 6 about 2 and a half months ago, so I switched out back to my old iPhone 5. The 6 just stayed in a drawer since then, and obviously it was dead. I went to go charge it again to get something off of it. Left it plugged in for about 14 hours, and it still didn't turn on. Eventually I got the red battery to show, but the phone itself never turned on past that. Tried plugging it into my laptop and holding the power and home button to do a DFU restore but nothing happens. Any fix for this problem?

TIA
Fix? Yes there is one....order iphone x.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Before trying to replace the battery take the SIM tool remover and insert it in the lightning port. There may be dust building up on the port that prevents the phone from charging (this happened to me to my 6s)

ds.

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
So I did some research and it turns out it was just drained too much and had gone past the cut off point. Read some tips and it said to heat it up with a hair dryer and that should help, I tried it and it didn't work. Then I came across a comment from some guy on an article who said he sat on his phone, so I gave it a shot, and after like 15 minutes of sitting on my phone with it plugged into my laptop, it turned on! Not the most elegant solution, but if it works, its a good solution in my books.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Never leave a LiPo battery drained for a long period. It will never recharge or retain a charge.