iPhone 6 Odd Battery Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davids8477, Jul 9, 2017.

1. davids8477 macrumors 6502

From a full overnight charge and normal light use, my iPhone will show 10% or so battery left in a few hours and go into low power mode.

I plug in the charger and the 10% goes for 50-70% almost instantly and the phone contours to operate normally.

See the photos.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I have had something similar in the past. I tried a while and reload and fixed it. I think it might of been a software bug that was incorrectly reading the battery and calculating the percentage.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You need a new battery. Do a search as there are multiple threads with the same symptoms.

4. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

If you were selling a phone with these symptoms and wanted to be upfront about them and offer a reasonable discount, what would it be?

For example, say an iPhone 6 64GB in good condition without battery issues has a fair market value of $240.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

A new battery from Apple is what $89 or something around there ? I'd just be like battery needs replaced and lower it at least by some of the cost of the battery.

6. Relentless Power, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apple can also conduct a free battery test of your iPhones battery health in store or over the Phone. The threshold is 80% I believe and Is the recommendation for a replacement. A replacement battery is $79.00 without coverage.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

7. - rob - macrumors regular

- rob -

Thanks. I priced it at $160 down from $240. (I use Movaluate for FMVs) It looks like you can do the repair yourself for much cheaper than the apple rate too.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think this is defect in iPhone 6's or iOS 10 that Apple won't cop to. I had a very similar issue with my iPhone 6 that was performing flawlessly until iOS 10. Then the battery got flakey. I tried everything I could -- soft resets, hard reset, restore, etc., etc. Took it into Apple and they hooked it up to their diagnostics and said my battery was at 90% -- healthy.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore and bent over and bought an iPhone 7 even though I was holding out for the "all new" 2018 model. Will still buy the 2018 model, but annoying I had to replace my phone because Apple won't admit there is a bug in iOS 10 or a defect in the iPhone 6s battery that reposts a false positive.

9. Jlbowm macrumors newbie

Jlbowm

They have... I actually have an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow for my phone.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right but that is the 6s. Apple has never said boo about the 6 and won't replace a 6 battery under that program. It's 6s only.

11. skeleton11223 macrumors member

This happens to me too, but only after I charge the phone to 100%, I just charge it to 8X% and then the battery frains like normal.

12. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I changed the battery myself, not too difficult using Ifixit tutorial.

After a couple of cycles the phone is behaving wonderfully. At the end of a typical day I still have 40% left whereas before I'd have had to charge it at least once during the day.

Well pleased

Now when's the 8 coming out

13. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

That's really good. Is this the first time you replaced the battery of your iPhone 6? How long have you been using the phone for?

14. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I bought it when it first came out - however long ago that was.

First battery change.

15. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

I see, I got mine changed last year as well, feels like the phone is not lasting as much again.