iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1. Should I update?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by cappo3, Oct 29, 2015.

1. cappo3 macrumors member

Hi guys!

I'm using my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1 since I bought it last year. I jailbroke it after 2 days of ownership.
    I don't have a lot of stuff on it, some apps but mainly music (downloaded from the Deezer app).
    I started to see some sluggishness here and there, so I was thinking about reverting to stock iOS 8.1 using cydia Impactor and starting fresh.
    Another option would be to update to iOS 9.0.2 (I won't update to a version I cannot jailbreak).
    What are the new features I'd get by updating and what are the disadvantages?
    A friend of mine updated his 6 to iOS 9 and was not happy with the performance... This worries me a bit.

Thanks!

2. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

If you're extremely sensitive to lag and that's your number one concern when running the OS, then don't do it. If you want more stability that iOS 9 offers, then go for it. You're about to get plenty of opinions. ;)

3. cappo3 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the prompt answer!
    What do you mean by stability?
    I think I never had stability problems on 8.1... I'm pretty sure I had less than 10 crashes since I own the phone!

4. Radon87000 macrumors 601

Dont do it if you value smoothness.Its very laggy compared to 8.1

5. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

In my experience, Safari has been far more stable on my 6+. I've experienced no page reloads or crashes. This was very prevalent on iOS 8. The overall experience, stability wise, has been superior on iOS 9.

If you place a premium on fluidity being close to perfect, you may not want to upgrade. Fluidity issues don't cripple anything in iOS 9, it just comes down to if smoothness is your number one concern.

6. tops2 macrumors regular

A few favorite things in iOS 9 for me is the back to previous app shortcut, the ad blockers, the slightly longer battery life (and the battery saver option) and more stable safari.

But my iOS 8 has been pretty bug free. Part of me wished I stayed on iOS 8 for stability on my phone. iOS 9.1 has been much better for me...but 9.0-9.0.2 has been really frustrating to me due to crashes and Gamecenter not working so enough of my games have problem loading.

7. xialina macrumors newbie

I think you won't. It will be slowly after the update

8. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Lol I remember last year everyone saying how laggy iOS 8.1 was

9. Jayson A macrumors 68000

The iPhone 6 was never laggy until iOS 9. I've owned the iPhone 6 since day one. I know how it ran. iOS 8 was glitchy, but it wasn't slow and the animations were always fast. My 5s ran great on iOS 8 as well.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

And plenty others have had all kinds of lag type of issues with iOS 8 or 7. Perhaps you weren't sensitive enough to notice those then, or didn't care much about them, or perhaps people have different experiences sometimes.

11. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

He noticed the system lag in 8.4 and 8.4.1, when using Apple Music. That's why he upgraded to iOS 9.

12. Jayson A macrumors 68000

No, I'm very sensitive to frame drops and lag. The iPhone 6 always ran flawlessly (animation-wise) on iOS 8.0-8.3. Then when Apple updated the Music app, the system would freeze for a few seconds after entering or exiting Music, but Apple fixed that in iOS 9. iOS 8 just wasn't built to handle the new music app (I'm assuming since it choked on it).

That's true. I kinda wish I was still on iOS 8.3 actually, but whatever.