iphone 6 - one phone to roam them all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pesos, Jun 22, 2014.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I'm here in Japan getting by on an iTouch and pocket wifi - will probably be here another 10-11 months.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about whether the iPhone 6 will cover the proper LTE bands to function in both Japan (Softbank) and the US (Verizon)? If so my fiancée and I would like to pick it up when it comes out here, and then take the phones to Verizon next year.

If it doesn't, I suppose we'll just wait until we move. There was some speculation here but I'm guessing Verizon probably didn't move as fast as expected to make this a possibility? http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...orks-it-could-happen-in-2014-thanks-to-intel/

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I think it would be great if they could incorporate all LTE bands around the world into 1 phone. Then no matter the carrier or place you are in the world it will work.

I know this is a difficult engineering feat because of the complexity of LTE but I think it would be awesome.

3. 617aircav Suspended

nobody can possibly know until the phone is announced.

4. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

Thank you captain obvious!

I am curious what people who know about such things think - it seems to make basic sense that from a supply/repair point of view a single LTE handset is a lot simpler to deal with than 2 or 3 or 5... Wondering how realistic that is and what can be gleaned from what competitors with recent releases have done.

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

My opinion is going to have several models similar to the 5s, but with a touch more consolidation.

6. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

Now that the QUALCOMM chip is confirmed, does anyone with technical knowledge of the LTE bands know if this one chip could enable Apple to sell the same phone in Japan and the US?