iPhone 6+ or iPad on Cruise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleRocks2011, Jan 11, 2015.

1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

So, I have an iPhone 6+, and it rocks. I also have an iPad. Funny thing...when I got my iPad, my MacBook took a hit and was never used. Now that I have my iPhone 6+, my iPad is used less and less.

I'm on a cruise next week, and I can't decide if I should take my iPad. The 6+ has amazing battery life, and all of the games I need. It'll take amazing pictures and reduce clutter.'

The iPad would make watching a movie on the flight more comfortable...but should I take the iPad just for watching a couple of movies?

Just wondering your opinion :). Thanks in advance!

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

If you are just going to use it on the plane, I would leave it at home.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

My only criteria on taking my iPad on trips is whether or not a room safe is provided to lock it up when I'm not around. If one is available (and they usually are), the iPad comes along, because regardless of battery life or phone size, the much larger screen of the iPad more than makes up for having to carry another pound of weight in my carryon.

But to be fair, I'm not one of those who sees the 6+ as an adequate substitute for a tablet.

4. AppleRocks2011 thread starter macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

That is a good point.....I do need to make sure it's safe! I don't see the 6+ as a substitute for a tablet...however, when I'm doing a relatively shorter trip, I guess it helps reduce clutter because I'd have fewer devices.

The screen size and comfort are the main factors, however. I do take an external battery so I can get the most out of my phone haha.

5. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I'd say leave your iPad at home and enjoy your cruise!

While the iPhone will probably improve on the experience by allowing you to take photos of friends/family/whomever you may be traveling with, as well as communicating and sharing, I feel like the iPad may do the opposite and detract from your trip, especially if you're mostly intending to play games and watch movies on it. The iPhone 6+ should be enough for those few instances where you feel like watching movies/playing games, shouldn't it? :)

I don't know about you, but me and my girl had lots of fun to do on our last cruise. Great food, great live music (even better after a few beers...), socializing and lots of partying... We didn't even have time to go to the pool area.

However I guess it all depends on how long you'll be traveling! :) Have fun! :)

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. Enjoy the cruise. Use your iPhone as a camera or just take a camera

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Are you bringing your 6+ if you bring your iPad, or is one of the two getting left at home? Assuming your 6+ is coming along no matter what I would leave the iPad at home. If it's one or the other go with the iPad for the bigger screen size when you're watching movies.

8. cababah macrumors 68000

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Bring the iPhone for pictures. Leave the tablet at home.

10. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Why don't you bring both? Both together don't take up that much room and you will find that if you only have one, you will wish you had brought the other. I always bring my iPad and iPhone on vacation.

11. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This, I carry around my 6+ and iPad Air 2 everywhere. Both my devices get used to death. I much prefer browsing and playing games on my iPad. I play allot of iOS games, and almost, if not all, of my mobile gaming is done on the iPad. I mean, my Air 2 takes up less space than a standard notebook with paper, and weighs almost nothing.

I really don't see the big deal.

Of course, I'd also be taking 15" rMBP on vacation too, as I would want to have a full computer with me and to play some heavier games.

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'd just use the 6 Plus. Leave that iPad safe at home.

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I bought both with me on my last cruise in December. I ended up using my 6+ most of the time. Internet was prohibitingly expensive that I didn't spent much time browsing. I was going to use my iPad for reading and watching movies for a couple of times, but ended up falling to sleep shortly. My iPhone on the other hand was used a lot for photos and the cruise app, and the occasional Facebook check in.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Depends on how you are going use one or the other. I go on a cruise in three weeks and both will go with me. Only because the 6+ does not support the SD card reader. Being a bit of a photographer I want to be able to edit the photos during my down time on the iPad from my regular camera.

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You need one of these. It'll let you import and edit photos from your camera.
    http://m.wdc.com/en/product/1330

16. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Take both. Spend the whole trip on your devices... That way you won't' be tempted to go outside or spend any time with your family... /sarcasm leave both at home! Take a camera. That way you can concentrate on enjoying your vacation.

17. AppleRocks2011 thread starter macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Haha I think you're right! Taking the phone will definitely distract me less. This will be cruise number 24, but I can NEVER take enough pictures of the ship! And what better camera than an iPhone 6+ to take pictures to post to Instagram and Twitter. It's a 7 day voyage, so it's not too long. I mostly just want to send a couple of emails now and then and post stuff. Nothing too heavy!

Thanks so much for your wonderful advice - much appreciated :):apple:

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This thread baffles me. Why would anyone not take their phone when traveling? I can understand deciding between, say, a laptop and the iPad, but a phone? How else are you going to make a call in an emergency, even when traveling to or from the cruise?

19. AppleRocks2011 thread starter macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Ah, no no. I mean to ask if I should take BOTH my iPad & iPhone, or JUST my iPhone! I'd never only take the iPad, that is indeed less useful in the event of an emergency. Thank you for bringing that up!

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Makes sense. Perhaps you should edit your thread title.

21. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I would say take both. Not sure which cruise line, but most ships give a safe deposit box where you can keep your iPad. The iPad is good for connecting to the ship's Wi-Fi if you do buy internet hours. The iPhone 6+ is good for photographs and stuff like that. Make sure your calls do not go through the ship's connection or you could be paying big money.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're acting like the iPad is a massive burden to carry. Stick in in your bag.

23. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Nothing wrong with taking your devices. I just took a cruise with Norwegian.

The safe was big enough for the ipad.

The cruise lines have menus and activities online. I also made dinner reservations on my devices as well.

If the weather sucks, you may want your ipad along. Not much to do on cruises if the weather is bad except learn towel folding and fruit carving. :)

You can read books, etc.

R

24. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

go for the six plus if you plan on using it to take calls too and take it everywhere you go. i have the six+ and it fits perfectly in my pocket.

25. Bahroo macrumors 68000

lmao im going on a cruise too actually next week, what a coincedence...with that being said, i have a nexus 7 2013 tablet and a 6 plus, no chance i am taking my tablet with me, just my 6 plus which i cant wait at all to take out and travel in the world and take tons of pictures/4k videos/ etc when i go with it. lol, i defitnetly am not gonna be using internet when i am there because its a time to just unplug and plus i dont have internet middle of the ocean and not paying for overpriced slow internet, no big deal

just take the iphone 6 plus, less clutter, will work perfect