iPhone 6 overnight battery drain...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Dec 15, 2014.

1. rockitdog Suspended

One of the things I've always loved is that the iPhone's battery drain overnight has always been very good. My iPhone 5s would drain only about 1-5% overnight. Sometimes if I unplugged it at 100% before bed I would wake up with 100% too.

The iPhone 6 is a different story and I can't figure out why. I lose about anywhere from 10-20% of my battery life overnight. I have all background activity shut off and keep my location services at a minimum and I still can't figure out why I am losing so much at night. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas on what I can't do to slow the drainage?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My IP6+ uses very little battery over night. It may be related to an app using location services, or cellular while inactive. FaceBook is a known culprit.

Try putting it on wifi (if that's an option) to see if that helps. Turn off LTE at night, that will reduce the battery demand while inactive.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I usually lose 1% or less overnight with my 6 plus.

Do you have poor cellular reception where you live?

4. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

Not really, I have AT&T so my reception is usually very good. I keep my device on wifi when at home too.

----------

Facebook does have the most battery life usage in the past 24 hours at 19%. Is there anything within the facebook app in particular that is known to eat battery aside from the location service setting?

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I will have to start to monitor my stats, but my battery drain is higher than I remember over-night. My ipad drains maybe 1%, but my 6 drains between 7-12% at night.

Same notifications are set to push, both with location services, both on the same wifi network, and I have strong cell service.

6. gfoote93 macrumors newbie

You're not alone my friend, mine does the exact same thing. Wifi off, Background activity set to off, Bluetooth etc off.

My battery drains like crazy ever since 8.1 original update.

iPhone 6 too btw

7. pazgb macrumors newbie

make sure you don't have processes waking up your phone...

Do you have background app refresh off?

Also, try resetting your network settings.

Then see how things go at night.

If that doesn't work, try doing a home button + power button reset and try the next night.

There are alot of steps that can be tried after this, like doing a backup and restore, a full restore as new, or maybe an appt with Apple is needed.

8. azhava macrumors regular

6+ on 8.1.2 here. I lose 0-1% overnight, with both wi-fi and LTE turned on (no airplane/DND mode). It's been that way ever since I got the phone, on each version of iOS from 8.0.2 to present. If it's at 100% when I go to bed (which it usually is), it's at 100% or 99% when I wake up in the morning.

9. reery macrumors regular

reery

What you can also do is to check CPU usage with an app like SystemTools. I found out that my CPU was on 50% load (1 whole core busy) the whole time even when idle or screen off.

As the phone runs very cool you won't notice this usage temperature wise. It will only get hot at 100% usage.

Solution was for me to close down a lot unused apps.