iPhone 6 Personal Hotspot Battery Life

mrochester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all

I have an iPhone 6 that I use as a personal hotspot when I'm away on holiday. Last year, for about a month before the iPhone 6 came out, I sold my 5S and temporarily used a Moto G (original 3G version). Despite having a battery that's only 200mah more than the iPhone 6, the Moto G could easily last the entire day as a personal hotspot whereas the iPhone 6 needs charging throughout the day (as well as constantly needing to be awoken to allow devices to reconnect!). I'm on the Three network and the best signal I can get in this location is 3G (it's the same location if anyone was wondering).

My question is, just out of interest, does anyone know why the iPhone 6 has such poor battery life as a personal hotspot in comparison to the Moto G? Both were acting as wifi hotspots.

Many thanks

M.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
What devices are you using with iPhone 6 hotspot? I believe apple devices like iPads and Macbook have a hotspot battery saving feature. I found the complete opposite I used to use an Samsung S4 as hotspot and got really bad battery life vs using my iPhone 6 plus now.

mrochester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I'm using a MacBook Pro, iPad Air 2 (was an iPad Mini at the time I had the Moto G), there's also a Lumia 635 and a Windows netbook.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
It might be because your Moto G was 3G and your iPhone 6 is LTE. My brother has an Moto G (3G) version and says he gets amazing battery life since it never using LTE. You could try disabling LTE on your iPhone 6 to increase battery life when you use it as a hotspot.

mrochester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
It might be because your Moto G was 3G and your iPhone 6 is LTE. My brother has an Moto G (3G) version and says he gets amazing battery life since it never using LTE. You could try disabling LTE on your iPhone 6 to increase battery life when you use it as a hotspot.
As above, it's the same network for both phones and the best I can get in the location I use it is 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.