Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
iPhone 6 or iWatch?

Is there any evidence in the schematic that it is from an iPhone 6? or could this chip be from another upcoming device like the iWatch?

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Twice in one week that MacRumors has posted crap only to have their readers correct them.

How about doing some research first?

The site isn't called MacJournalism—they're posting rumors. If you want cold, hard facts, wait until Sept. 9.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
"The poster had previously claimed a schematic showed the iPhone 6 carrying the same 1 GB RAM found in previous A-series chips, but that was quickly revealed to be a reference to an aspect of flash storage rather than RAM."

So the rumour about 1Gb Ram was mistaken with something else?

It could be well be but could be connecting up to other storage devices like the Flash chips in the phone (which store the data when the phone is turned off) or for the cach (stores a small amount of data but is very very fast - usually used for code like variables or a function it uses a lot (like check the battery but this data changes all the time - Im not exactly sure how the catch works but i know the CPU can change the data in it depending on what it needs to store).
It could be one of these chips or could be going to another chip :cool:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Siri: "It's cold you should put on a blanket!"
- "No thank you Siri!"

1 week later

Doctor: "So you have the flu? I can see here Siri asked you to put a blanket on and you ignored her, I would have to notify your insurance company!"

How you got temperature from a Barometer is beyond me.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Leave it to the MR forums!! :D :D

Seriously though... with all the available tech (NFC, wireless charging) we're getting a barometric pressure sensor?!? I would hope this is for the iWatch and not the iPhone.

I'll wait until Sept. 9th and hope to be wow'd, but right now I'm sitting here shaking my head. Give me something I give a crap about.:mad:

:apple:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I don't know why, but I get the vaguest notion of an impending dishwasher detergent ad when I look at this image:

qUoSj5a.gif

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Exactly what I think. And, I can't figure out what Apple would use the humidity sensing for.

I can figure out what a USER would use it for, knowing humidity. I have 2 people with asthma at my house, it's more important to know dewpoint/humidity than the actual temp.

But would this be adequate for a good reading, from a phone?

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
iPhone 6 'Phosphorus' Component Likely a Barometric Pressure Sensor, Not Next...

This recent obsession with health from everyone is so frustrating.

Indeed. I'd be more interested in an obsession with battery health.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
iPhone 6 'Phosphorus' Component Likely a Barometric Pressure Sensor, Not Next...

Right. One can argue that bringing "facts" to the public is considered research c:

Makes sense to me. Except MacRumors has just been copying and pasting lately. They aren't bringing facts, they're regurgitating what others say.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Indeed. I'd be more interested in an obsession with battery health.

This 100%. I feel like this health kick is just another lame "Apple maps" release that few people care about. Over time it might end up being a big deal but for now... YAWN.

Innovate the battery tech... now that's something substantial.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would love a pressure sensor because I'm a weather geek!

What would be interesting is if Apple could anonymously collect pressure data once per hour across all new iPhones and relay that information to researchers building computer models. Imagine all of the extra points of data to make better forecasts! Though I imagine it would also need the GPS coords, which would hit the battery. And of course there should be an opt-out option. At the least it would be cool to install an app which could do this. Working in the college that hosts the Department of Atmospheric Sciences here at Mizzou, I know lots of weather geeks who would love to contribute to research projects.

Edit: I just emailed the department chair to see what he thought of us building an API that any weather app could use. Fun thought!

Last edited:

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
iPhone morphing into a (Star Trek) Tricorder?!

With all the additional sensors etc. added to the iPhone, it's starting to sound like it's morphing into a Star Trek Tricorder-like device! Now if you could just wave it over your body and have it diagnose your medical problem ...

:eek:

Jim

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Not a temperature sensor

Shouldn't this be an update to the other article instead of a new article? I'm guessing the BME series can't be used because it would only be sensing the inside temperature of the iPhone, which is bound to be more warm.

My guess it is a variant of the BMP280. Barometer only. The variation, if I were to take a guess could be to add a filter on the outside to ensure less contamination could get in the sensor... or maybe logic changes, range changes? Lower voltage? Relative Humidity is dependant on temperature so if the temperature isn't right... either is the humidity.

Pressure gradient changes from floor to floor. It could be used to determine what floor you are on in your house, or elevation. Weather changes.

BMP282AC according to this link.
http://www.idevice.ro/2014/08/25/iphone-6-barometru-schita/

This is good news. Not many phones up to this point (unlike my nexus galaxy) have had a barometer. Good stuff Apple(ie. finally). Only requires a few microamps... throw it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.