Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellis800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
I'm getting really poor quality images from my iphone6. They are really pixalated to the point of looking like 'art effect'! Is it a fault or poor focusing or compression issue? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,189

hunkim

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I'm getting really poor quality images from my iphone6. They are really pixalated to the point of looking like 'art effect'! Is it a fault or poor focusing or compression issue? Any advice greatly appreciated.

It's a known issue with iPhone 6, they increased the noise reduction SO much for some god forsaken reason that it looks like water color etc. (like you said) - this is even for daylight images that don't even need NR that much. :( I really hope Apple will address in future software update.

I've been complaining on https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html but doubt enough are complaining that they're listening. :(

mellis800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Thanks. Done the same for what good it will do! Couldn't find much more on the web or other people saying the same. You said it's a known issue do you have any links? Cheers

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did you zoom at all when you took that photo? I discovered that the watercolor effect gets increasingly more pronounced the more I zoom. I actually now zoom on purpose to force the watercolor effect on some landscape shots to make them look like impressionist paintings.

It's annoying that the camera does this but according to a review I read on the Samsung Note 4, its camera does the same thing.

This issue is talked about on the general iPhone forum.

dels

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Yes, I see the same issue with the pics I take with my 6. A little disappointed to be honest as I was hoping for a bump up in quality from the pics I took with my HTC One.

I hope there is a software fix soon.

1peeved

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Did you zoom at all when you took that photo? I discovered that the watercolor effect gets increasingly more pronounced the more I zoom. I actually now zoom on purpose to force the watercolor effect on some landscape shots to make them look like impressionist paintings.

It's annoying that the camera does this but according to a review I read on the Samsung Note 4, its camera does the same thing.

The note 4 does do this slightly, but it lets you zoom in much, much further before these effects are evident. I have compared both the note 4 and 6 and the note takes much better pictures. I can zoom in and read small text on a display while the 6 blurs out way before the text is legible.

mellis800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014

No zooming on this picture. I admit the effect is more obvious if you zoom or crop but surely this degree of 'effect' is not acceptable. My iphone5 was better that can't be progress

Meathead1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
No zooming on this picture. I admit the effect is more obvious if you zoom or crop but surely this degree of 'effect' is not acceptable. My iphone5 was better that can't be progress

No, it's not progress.

http://improvephotography.com/30019/iphone-6-camera-depth-review/

For some reason that I cannot understand, Apple has changed the JPG processing engine and dramatically reduced the contrast in the photos. This produces blotchy, ugly skin tones and dull, lifeless landscapes. It’s not a subtle difference at all.

Conscept

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
Might be a temporary fix..

Apple "store" app.. ( from the app store the one that lets you shop through their app ) is giving away Camera+ at the moment.

That app has just had an update to save in lossless quality Tiff format. Try it and see if it makes a difference?

Meathead1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014

Apple "store" app.. ( from the app store the one that lets you shop through their app ) is giving away Camera+ at the moment.

That app has just had an update to save in lossless quality Tiff format. Try it and see if it makes a difference?

It still gets processed through the phones image processor. Just a large file size of the blotchy pics.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

looks like its 2.99 is that what you mean by giving away? is it normally much more than 2.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.