Iphone 6 planned obsolescence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pelea, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Pelea macrumors 6502

How's everyone's battery doing on their iphone 6? Mine got around 8-9 hours of usage when I bought it in October.. Now look how bad it is.. image.jpg

2. ZXMustang macrumors member

Im sure its not your battery degrading. But the many apps dragging on your CPU and GPS and so on and on that you have downloaded since new. Its pretty typical for apps to try and make themselves priority on your device to memory, cpu and GPS. Then before you know it, your phone is doing 1000 things in the background without your knowledge. Sometimes you need to go through the privacy settings of all the apps and make sure they are not set to always use the GPS so they are ready for you.

I usually reset my devices from scratch atleast once a year and "trim the fat" if you will. Dump all the pics and vids and only reinstall apps that I cant live without. Its a Windows PC ritual I have done for years, and its never failed me in the apple world. My devices always run smooth and fast, compared to my wifes iphone that seems laggy with 200 mindless apps installed along with gigs of pics and videos just doing nothing. Thats my opinion.

3. ZXMustang macrumors member

Oh and also you seem to be jailbroken and that pretty much opens you up to many many more potential problems.

4. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

My battery life is great, but my device isn't jailbroken...

5. Pelea, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

Pelea thread starter macrumors 6502

How would jailbreaking affect battery life? I only use minor tweaks like swypetotype and icon customisers :eek:

Edit: I've also been using the exact same tweaks since day 1 of using my iphone. And battery life on day 1 was 8-9 hours.. So I don't see why it would decrease so drastically with the same tweaks

6. ZXMustang macrumors member

Im not sure, but there is no way you can say it doesnt.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right. So what's the reason for both my jailbroken iPhone 5 and iPhone 6+ getting great battery life?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sure there is. I just did in the post above this one!

9. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Hmm weird. Download BatteryLife from cydia and see how many cycles your battery has gone though and check how much capacity it has left out of 1751. Maybe your battery is crapping out.

I've been jailbroken on 8.1.2 for a long time and always got the same great battery life. Last night I bit the bullet and restored as new to 8.3. I'm missing my themes but loving the crispy performance and having more apps stay in the background without refreshing. Not sure about battery life yet stock. It usually takes about 3 cycles to get a good idea of battery after a new install.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You know there's a jailbreak out for 8.1.3 to 8.3 now right? Released last week.

11. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Yup. I'm just rolling stock for awhile though till I get bored and want my themes back. Waiting to see if 8.4 is jail breakable too.

12. Pelea thread starter macrumors 6502

Done

Attached Files:

13. ZXMustang macrumors member

What in the hell are you talking about? We are talking about the OPs phone. Not yours. Who knows what you do or have done with your phone. But to the OP, there are ********s of factors that can attribute to not having as great battery life as you had day one, and Im sure it has nothing to do with a bad battery or battery degrading.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not the one who generalized about jailbreaking causing problems.

Perhaps you mean jailbreaking only causes problems for the OP then?

15. ZXMustang macrumors member

Yes and no. WHat I meant is jailbreaking takes you to a whole other level of what you can negatively do to degrade the performance of your battery. Like installing a non-apple approved app that might eat your battery for lunch. ANd maybe apple denied that app because they know it would kill the battery performance. Im saying you just dont know. But for a factory stock phone, there isnt much that you can do but delete power hungry apps and so on. See what Im saying. Its like modifying a car, then complaining when it breaks.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I get you.

Jailbreaking can open up a whole new can of worms if you don't know what you are doing. But if you do know what you are doing (and act appropriately) then the open generalization that a jailbreak will cause you problems can't be applied.

To use your analogy, anyone can break a car by applying a modification if they don't know what they are doing. But that's not the same as saying any modification to a car will break it.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would bet it is "User Induced Error" and not the iPhone as mine is still doing great!

Take charge of your device.

18. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Sounds like more of a faulty battery than anything.

The 1GB RAM is more of a planned obsolescence characteristic.

Anyone who knew it had 1GB and thought it didn't matter/it doesnt need it/defended it is a fool.

19. david91 macrumors regular

battery life is great. iphone is sleek in all aspect. the only place I'm struggling with is how do I connect it with wifi and vpn. not a techy person (covering face)

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I certainly agree that more RAM would have been good and should have been done by now, for plenty of people, especially with the iPhone 6 (vs 6 Plus), 1 GB of RAM isn't really causing any noticeable issues given their use.

In any case though, as far as the topic itself goes, it seems it would be best to restore the phone to the latest iOS version and see how it performs then to see if it's the battery or something else.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Anyone who doesn't realize that some people's (many people, if fact) usage doesn't require more than 1 GB of RAM is more a fool. I know people still using the 4s with its 512MB of RAM.

To address the original point, I have not noticed any battery decline in my phone since I got it in November. I still get about 9-10 hours of usage, spread over about 2 days of standby. This, as well as my satisfaction with the RAM may be because I'm not what you'd call a "power user".

22. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i used to only lose 10% of battery after a 9 hour work day (i dont use my phone a lot)
    now, maybe 30%.
    Same config.
    I used to think that the battery on the new iphones sucks. But then I got my iphone replaced a few weeks ago, with the same result. I'm convinced it's just the growth in app CPU usage over time. I'd since bought an Apple watch, and so now have bluetooth on permanently. that must suck battery too.

23. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You realize that there is absoluetly nothing wrong with your battery now, right? Yours has 100% of it's original capacity left.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very valid point.
    Im also JB and love jailbreaking in general but there is so many poorly written or buggy hacks that eat up CPU and drain battery. So its a lot of trial and error with JB devices and also sticking to basics and to be able to control yourself installing only stuff you need and use. If you install everything you see on cydia this is what's going to happen.
    I bet if the OP restored and setup as new his battery life would significantly improve.
    Its easy to blame it on the phone or say that its Apples fault but in the end the real culprit is the user. ;)

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tend to close apps several times a week and that seems to help with battery usage...