iPhone 6/Plus a big yawn - big screen, big deal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotpotato123, Sep 19, 2014.

1. hotpotato123 macrumors member

Does anyone else out there - in the midst of the usual rush for new iPhones - feel that the 6 and Plus are just a big yawn. I really get what the Samsung satire ads are saying - that the biggest feature, the larger screens, are really nothing exciting since those have been offered by every other manufacturer for ages.

All this hand-off stuff sounds theoretically cool, but in the past how many times have you started typing a message on one device, and then had to continue it on another device.

I already have that basic functionality in the draft folder in Gmail, and I don't think I need more. Hope all this complexity is not going to make a mess of Apple Mail in Yosemite. Already today people are reporting crazy bugs in Yosemite Mail.

I'll wait one year and get an iPhone 6 second hand when all the enthusiasts are upgrading to the next years bread and circuses from Apple.

I switched to Apple Mac about 10 years ago, and have never looked back. But today I played at the store with the Surface Pro 3. I think in a few years, there's going to be little to distinguish Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft are getting better and prettier.

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

*Microsoft are getting better and prettier*

Windows 8 is the worst os on earth... Tablets don't sell, smartphones don't sell, xbox ones don't sell.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

/argument

5. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

6. RedRider0151 macrumors member

Absolutely DONT agree....my gaming rig is Win 8.1 and I also have a Surface and I think the Surface is way better than my Ipad...take away the keyboard and yeah, the Ipad may be a little slicker but having a mouse, a stylus, a USB port....makes a WORLD of difference...other than that there is little to distinguish an Ipad from a Surface except for the apps...and I already have all the apps I want on both....

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

But it is a big deal for people who only use iPhones. So the other companies offered bigger screens years ago, if you love iPhones, you wouldn't want to get one. Now you can have the best of both worlds.

8. bdb23 macrumors member

So, you're still going to get an iPhone 6? Just want it to be a little cheaper for you so you're waiting?

Lol, okay...

Thanks for letting us know, how bad the 6 is, but you're still going to get it...

9. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

You logged in just to make a post like that TC? Lol.

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

This is the most exciting launch yet. I love the new phones and I usually never give a single *******.

11. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I think he's trying to justify the delay to himself. The truth is he wants it bad.

12. Cryates macrumors 68000

This thread is a big yawn and the comment about Microsoft is a joke. Windows continues to get worse and worse.

13. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

OP your post looked even more crap on my iPhone Plus' big screen.

Now stop playing with your parents computer.

14. hotpotato123 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, Windows 8 was awful, but from what I see Windows 9 is a slight improvement. So by Windows 10 and 11 it should be quite useable.

15. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Are you even remotely serious? Lol. I can promise I smiled at that ridiculous statement supported by nothing..

16. monaarts macrumors 65816

Let me recap how big of a yawn the iPhone 6 duettes are:

• Apple Pay - Although other phone might have had a payment feature, when is the last time you saw someone using it? People had the same complaint about Touch ID when it was first announced, claiming it was nothing special. Still, all the friends I know who have a Galaxy S5 turned the fingerprint feature off because of how annoying it was. Point being that Apple usually doesn't implement things half-assed like most other companies so I think this will go down as the beginning of wallets becoming useless.
    • Larger Screen - Yeah Samsung, LG, et al have had larger screen for years, but again the implementation of those larger screen on Android is a mess. All the larger screens do is upsize what you would usually see on the smaller screens. Apple developers will have the ability to develop different layouts for the different screen sizes available (4.0, 4.7, 5.5)
    • Quality - Apple once again releases a phone that is made extremely durable with quality materials while also being super comfortable to use. Enjoy your plastic elsewhere.
    • Power - Yeah, yeah, yeah - the iPhone doesn't have 2, 3, 4, 6 GB of ram or a 8-core processor like other phones do but guess what...? It doesn't need it. iPhone's run VERY well and iOS doesn't require a ton of power to run like Android does.
    • Camera - Whether my phone has 32MP or 8MP doesn't matter to me, what does is the quality of those photos. I've used Windows and Android phone's before and they take great pictures but they usually have a big flaw with something - colors are off, blacks aren't black, saturation is strange, etc. The iPhone's camera is and has always been a great blend of all specs... And with the Focus Pixels I'm guessing it will continue to jump ahead of the rest in OVERALL picture quality.
    • Touch ID - Touch ID was already amazing for something as simple as unlocking your phone... Now with iOS8 I'm able to unlock Apps (i.e. Mint) and use it to make secure payments via Apple Pay (which is looking to be MUCH more secure than any other payment method to date, including Google Wallet if you want to count that as a payment method) the Touch ID feature is much better than anything any other phone manufacturer has done. Oh, and there are reports that Touch ID has gotten much better in terms of reliability and the like.
    • M8 Chip & Health - Android has Google Fit, which is a DOA feature from what I've read. Apple is focusing on making this feature actually usable by partnering with it's developers, device manufacturers, insurance carriers, hospitals, etc. to make this feature the best that it can be. I personally think that this time around the Health app and tech will be slightly overlooked but I put it on here because I think it is the START to something much greater (kind of like how Touch ID was).

17. gravage macrumors member

gravage

Agreed. Surface is awesome. It's my favorite piece of hardware right now. I have the Surface 3.

18. easyfame macrumors member

This is macrumors bro. Everyone here rides tim cook/jobs dick.

19. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

"I WORK IN BUSINESS AND I NEED A POWER MACHINE WITH STYLII AND USB PORTS!!!!!"

I'm pretty sure people who say this just have a laptop and a copy of Office. That pretty much sums up 90% of the American workforce.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice summary. Much more to this launch than just larger screens.

21. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Not really. Tim Cook is a ****ing dork who tries to mimic Steve. Straight up poser.

However, I love Apple products.

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It is a good upgrade, not just a bigger screen. A nice synopsis was already supplied above. If none of that interests you well just forget about it.

23. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

24. pmcdn macrumors regular

Ok. Let me see if I understand: in your opinion the IPhone 6 is a big "yawn", yet you've decided that a year down the road from now you'll go ahead and purchase one for yourself?

Did I read that correctly?

25. RedRider0151 macrumors member

Yeah, but its also CRAZY NICE to be able to slap anything you want onto a jump drive and be able to watch it without having to jack around with itunes or figure out how to get content onto it....granted there are always ways to do it...but to simply slap in a jump drive is by FAR the simplest way...movies, music, books...whatever...