iPhone 6 Plus ALL the way

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Aug 29, 2015.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

Is what I've been saying since it was announced and even rumored. I've not once considered the regular iPhone 6. I thought, why would anyone want a 6 when you can have a plus? OIS, landscape home screens, landscape apps, a higher PPI screen, a bigger screen, bigger battery and better battery life, why wouldn't i want this??

Well after a year of praise and defending the 6 Plus to death, I am probably going to get a 6s rather than the plus. I might end up getting a plus later but for now I'm ready to ditch the plus and the problems I've had with it. I went through three pluses in the past year. All of them with orientation issues and safari tab reloading issues as well as some funky UI where it lags a bit (due to higher poi?).

I just felt i was missing the iPhone experience for the past year that i've come to know and love since the original iPhone. I just feel like the last year i've spent with my plus was much worse than any other of the iPhones. I was in denial.

I hope the new plus fixes things but for now I'm seriously leaning towards a regular 6. Anyone else with me? I'm tired of defending the plus and realize it's a device with some serious issues. I realized what i was missing when I used a 6 for the first time for a few days and it was so darn smooth and less glitchy.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am sometimes tempted to do the same. I have my original 6 that I bought before the 6+. I have even restored the 6 and used it for a day but after a day I am ready to go back to my 6+. It is all about the keyboard to me. While I can type on the 6, I exceed the capacity of the spell checker and have to make corrections all the time. With the 6+ not so much.

It is great we have choices and each can decide.

3. Nelliebee, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Nelliebee macrumors member

Nelliebee

I originally bought a regular 6 but switched to the 6+. I think you make a good point in that the iphone 6+ doesn't have the same iphone feel/experience. I know a lot of people love their 6+s but as for me I can't wait to make the switch to a regular 6s.

4. terps2005 macrumors member

Agreed. I just switched back to a 5s in order to sell my 6 plus before the announcement. The screen is small but the phone overall feels smoother. My 6 plus wasn't completely awful but there were issues for sure. I'll be getting a 6s this time around.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

People can simply want it because it's smaller and they just don't want a much bigger device (even if with some improvements at some extra cost).

6. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I'm in a different situation. I had the iPhone 6 and now I'm debating if I should go with the plus or not. I had the 6+ for a week and I loved the screen and I had no problems holding it, but I had to return it because it felt too big in my pocket. I'm only 5'6 tall. Now I'm wondering if I should have given it more time and maybe it would have grown on me after a while.. MMM decisionssss

7. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

I have the 6+ and I can't see myself going to a smaller screen. I get a better experience in seeing more content and love watching media on it.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Upon release I bought both. Using them concurrently for 60 days it was obvious the 6 wasn't for me. So I gave it away and kept the 6 Plus. It's just personal preference.

Yet I will mention that neither model lives up to the quality and terrific user experience Apple used to deliver.

Both would routinely crash when running a variety of apps. These weekly and sometimes daily crashes make my Nexus 5 and 6 models even more enjoyable as they are free of crashes and other Apple annoyances.

Perhaps in time Apple will focus on getting back to the high standards they set themselves.

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I recently got a 6+ with the T-Mobile JOD program; to lock in the cheaper rate and test drive a 6+ until the new iPhones are announced. I am coming from a 2014 Moto X and have been planning to switch to iOS this year. I love the larger screen, compared to the 6 I briefly used on release last year. However the larger size comes with that screen, and therein lies my issue: to stick with the niceties a larger display/battery can offer, or go the more portable route? My only quibbles with the 6+ size are: the large in pocket feel, the off balance feeling while using it one-handed, and how it is a bit difficult to reach over and swipe to go back with one hand for me. If the phone was only just got 1/4-1/2 an inch slimmer, and had the top and bottom bezels reduced, it would be much more manageable for myself. Oh well, if this is one of the "concerns" on my mind I can't really complain.

Also, I do hope that the smaller battery capacity rumors aren't true (although I'm sure they are). Reason being, I love phones with higher Screen on Time (a hangover from the Android world), and a smaller battery doesn't help that nice display stay powered for long; internal improvements notwithstanding.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

If I downsize I'll miss the battery capacity. And the OIS. That's about it. My Plus has been a pain in the butt...literally. I have to keep it in my back pocket when I want to carry it in my pocket. The 6 isn't a great fit either but it's better.

Oh and my 6Plus has been laggy too.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What's to defend? If you like the 6, get the 6. The 6+, get the 6+.

I'm not a phablet person, but I wanted the larger version. My wife got the 6. It's larger than our old iPhone 5's but I prefer the size of my 6+.

Unless someone else paid for my stuff, I don't have to defend it to anyone.

12. AYNOM macrumors regular

Hopefully the 6S is a large enough bump for me to purchase it.

My Galaxy Note 3 has treated me well this past couple of years. It's absurd how behind Apple was.

How's the battery life on the +?

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I know you and your wife may have different usage patterns and so may not really be able to compare. But if you can, how many more hours of use do you get from your 6+ than your wife gets from her 6? Does she have to charge it more than once a day?

14. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Simple solution, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet....just grow to 6'.
    You'll need bigger pants so the phone will fit nicely in the bigger pockets.

No need to thank me, glad to help.

15. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

I'd never get a normal small iPhone again. Screen and battery life are no where near what I can bare anymore. Been spoilt by the 6 Plus, and some Android quad screens. Battery life is number 1 for me.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I may end up getting the smaller 6s and sell my plus. The very reasons for why I bought the phone are the ones that are causing me to consider a smaller phone. The size, while at times its a great advantage, it can also be a disadvantage. I think a smaller phone may be better.

I'll probably wait until the dust settles on the 6s before taking the plunge.

17. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Lmao! You're the best!

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm shorter then you but I don't have any problems carrying the 6 Plus in my pocket. OK so it can be a bit uncomfortable when wearing jeans but I only wear jeans on the weekend and I've got use to it.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

I find it strange some people have had issues with their 6 Plus. I've had mine since launch and it's worked virtually flawlessly. There is the odd occasion when it gets stuck in landscape mode but it's usually quick and easy to get it "unstuck".

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I will have to ask, but in general I only see her plug her phone in once a day and generally that's either in the evening or nighttime.

In general though, I know she uses her phone much more than I do, particularly for web browsing/online activities, texting and YouTube. She also uses her phone for calls much more than I do. So all around she is much more of a heavier user than I am.

That said, she generally tends to (from what I have observed) ignore the battery indicator. She's often surprised when she has to plug her phone in (just because she has not been paying attention) - but again, that's usually in the evening/nighttime.

I will say though that in general she is on WiFi all day (she is a stay at home mom) at home and since her phone is jailbroken I have an Activator action that disables cellular data when she is on WiFi. We also have an Airave from Sprint, which is a small 3G femtocell in the home that uses our internet connection as backhaul. So cell coverage for texting/calling is readily present.

In comparison however. we went to the movies yesterday around 2pm. My phone had been sitting on my desk all day and when I used it really for the first time at the theater I had 93% battery. I had been up by that point since 7am.

I'll ask her today.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Thank you. And I thank your wife as well. I'm a stay-at-home mom, too. Though I am outside of the house and outside of wifi range doing landscaping and gardening in all but the winter months. I use my iPhone now heavily in tandem with the Apple Watch. When I'm working outdoors the phone goes in the back pocket or gets set down out of the way and I take calls and texts on my watch. I want to keep the phone in pocket more which is why I want to downsize. But I don't want to go back to the way my battery was running down so much when I was on IPhone 5s.

Though I'm not sure that's going to be a problem anymore. There was a person texting me day and night and I've since ejected that drama diva from my life, which has noticeably increased my personal productivity and decreased drain on my phone battery. The big drains on my phone now are using it for media consumption when I'm traveling with my family.

The iPhones biggest value to me is as a camera and video camera that is always with me. I'm hoping OIS comes to the smaller phone this time around.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're welcome!

My wife reports that she plugs her phone in once a day at night. She may plug it in during the day, but not because she needs to charge it.

She gets up roughly at the same time I do and goes to bed roughly at the same time as well, but usually her charge is a bit less than mine when she plugs her phone in. Typically, I'm anywhere from 20-60% or so when I plug my phone in, depending on usage.

I get up around 5:45am (she's up around 6am) and we both go to bed around 10pm to midnight.

23. Kapybarus macrumors member

I dont have problems with bigger phones, but I was stupid to sell 5S for Note 4 and then 6plus. Only problem was small battery. If it isn 't that expensive for 2 years old model, maybe I will jump for that nice piece of Iphone again.

24. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Thank you and your wife so much. It sounds like the 6 will work out just fine for me, at least in terms of battery capacity.