iPhone 6 Plus and Exercising

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunger, Sep 10, 2014.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I love everything about the 6 plus, except.... I use my 5s for both road and mountain biking. I slide it in the back pocket of my jersey and listen to music and link it to my bike computer.

I am worried the 6 Plus may be to large for that? I also have to wonder what runners would do also - that's a fairly large device to strap to your arm.

Just curious what people are thinking on this....

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The concern crossed my mind too. I run with my 5S often (I carry it in my hand). I'm wondering if the 6P will be too large to comfortably hold while running. I'm also worried about it falling out of my gym shorts while using exercise equipment. Oh well, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you def getting the 6P?

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah I am. The benefits still outweigh the negatives.

5. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I use something called a Sticky Pod when I listen to music on my bike rides. I'm going to have to buy the bigger of the two sizes to fit the 6+ which I hope fits in my jersey pocket. Here's what the smaller one I currently own looks like. Not my picture BTW, I actually currently use a SG3.

[​IMG]

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i'd saying being huge as F is a pretty big negaive

having fun holding it in 1 hand. hopefully you saw the Verge video of the dude who could barely get his hands around it

7. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I like that a lot! Do you run wired headphones to it, wireless, or none at all?

Also, does the bad interfere with GPS at all?

8. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I run wired headphones and just close the zipper enough so the phone can't fall/slide out. You'll want at least basic remote control functions on whatever headphones you use. I never had GPS issues with the Strava app on my phone in the Sticky Pod although I currently run a Garmin 510 bike computer/GPS.

9. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you def getting the 6+ also?

10. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

Yes, will be pre-ordering midnight on Friday.

11. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I have an LG G3 (can't wait to replace it with the iphone) and I use it with an arm pouch. It is a bit smaller than the iphone 6+...and the lg g3 is about as big as I want strapped to my arm. Ill give it a try though.

I use spotify...or i would just use my old shuffle. I guess getting a used ipod touch would work fine for my needs.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Ok I will

13. mantan macrumors 68000

Same boat here. I run with my ip5...but don't think I would want to try with an ip6+. One of the main reasons I'm going with a regular 6.

Though I have a race on 9/20. If I preorder, I actually wouldn't activate it until after the race Saturday morning since I doubt I'll have a case I trust for the ip6 that soon.

14. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I run with my iPhone 5 with an armband (Use Runkeeper) and the size is perfect. I really want the 6+ but still cannot decide if is to large for an armband.

15. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

It will be terrible unless you do cupcake workouts

16. Roadrash3 macrumors newbie

The iPhone 6 plus is only half a inch bigger then my Samsung S5 active and it fits fine in my back jersey pocket. I am going with the larger phone for sure.

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Y'all are COMPLETELY missing the marketing strategy here. You're not meant to exercise with your 6 or 6 Plus in your pocket or on your arm. You buy the Apple Watch for that.

18. Doctorsti macrumors regular

Except the crapple watch won't tell you anything besides your heart rate and some wild guess at how many calories you maybe burned. No internal gps and don't sweat too much or you'll kill it.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

How ironic. When the iPhone came out, it was supposed to replace a music player, a cell phone, and a watch with one device. Now, the larger size iPhone and Apple watch will drive these functions to separate devices again--all of which will have regular upgrade cycles.

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Remember when the iPhone 1 came out and everyone complained about how it couldn't do anything? No GPS, no 3rd party apps etc.? Remember when the iPad 1 came out and everyone complained about how it was so neutered that it would be forever limited to media consumption only and be useless as a laptop replacement?

Yeah.

----------

Ironic? No. Smart marketing.

21. Doctorsti macrumors regular

Oh I agree! I'm all in on a watch that can be standalone and is waterproof to 10meters or more. They make that and it will be a game changer. They simply repackaged what is already out there and that's not a $350 purchase I would make.

If it was a game changer I'd pay twice that however. A watch that lasts 2-3 days of use, is standalone, waterproof and very durable that I will interact with all day every day is worth at least what I would pay for a laptop I might use once a day.

22. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I'm sure they will have armbands for the 6+ soon after launch, if not before.