iPhone 6 Plus and exercising

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kkay5, Sep 11, 2014.

1. kkay5 macrumors newbie

Preorders are a little over an hour away and I am starting to panic, because I STILL have not decided whether to get the 6 or 6+. The main thing holding me back from the 6+ is wondering how hard it will be to run with my phone.

Is anyone else worried that it will be too bulky with a case to take running?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Nope. I have used a Note 3 on runs and I was fine with it. 6 Plus for me!

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Get an iPod shuffle. Inexpensive, strong retaining clip molded into the iPod, no-look controls, weighs nothing. You'll never go back to anything else.

4. AutoUnion39, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I'm going to have to get an armband for the Plus. If not... treadmills usually have a chubby these days.

edit: cubby LOL

5. Vctr macrumors regular

Well, I guess you'll have an excuse to NOT exercise. Oh well!!

6. houssein31 macrumors regular

personally i think you can't go wrong with the 4.7....I like the idea of going from a small iPhone 4 to a 4inch 5 to a 4.7 inch 6

7. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I went back to my phone once I realized I can switch up my music on the fly with Spotify. Being able to use Runkeeper (and other similar apps) is handy as well.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'd have to get an iPod for the gym and running if I got the 6+. I don't even like carrying my 5S on runs very much. That's the primary reason I wouldn't go for the 6+.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have considered this, but there are too many things the shuffle can;t do.

First, I need to constantly mess with mixes and syncing. I prefer to just make playlsists right on my phone and stream them.

I use it for running and biking outdoors. I don't think I need to list the reason this is handy.

When at the gym, if the phone isn't on me (because I am using a shuffle), I need to leave it somewhere. That's essentially not an option for me.

If I don;t have my phone when working out (wherever that may be) well, I don't have my phone. This is fine at the gym I guess, but when I am running or biking on a path it can be hours before anyone runs into me. As a sense of security, the phone has become a safety blanket of sorts. I have left home without my wallet and even my keys. Never my phone over the past decade.

10. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Gonna have to dig out my old Nano Mini for the gym.

11. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

I'm a little worried about running with the 6+ myself.

12. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

As I typically run a lot with my devices, I was curious, with the Note 3 what type of case did you use? Armband? or did you just hold the phone in your hand?

13. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

This is also one of my concerns.

And no, a nano/shuffle type of deal won't do the trick. I do a lot (a LOT) of mountain/trail running. The phone not only tracks GPS for me, along with a bunch of other cool running stats, I'm also frequently in areas where having a phone allows me to take some of the coolest pics -- something else a nano/shuffle won't do.

And, for the record, I never listen to music while running. I'm running in such gorgeous places I like to be able to see/hear/feel/experience where I am: having headphones plugged in for 15 miles really detracts from that.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I tried holding in my hand and that was awful. I was more concerned with the phone than the workout.

For runs I generally use an armband. For biking I generally use a wasitband. I switch them up in the gym for weights (whatever is cleanest goes with me that day).

For my bike I plan on getting a mount that someone linked the other day, though the link is on my PC browser (I am dumb and don;t sync bookmarks even though i really should!)

15. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Ah, agreed holding a phone in my hand was awful too. The armband wasn't bad but it felt awkward to me, I've not tried a waistband yet so that might be the best way for me. Have you tried running with a waist band, any pros/cons to it?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The only way the waistband felt comfortable was with the phone at my back. My lower back (though I think this is the case with everyone) tends to pool sweat easily. If you are going for a short run, not so bad. If you are going longer, not a great place for an electronic device to be.

Been using armbands since the iPhone 4 though, and they honestly pretty much all feel the same. More of a difference im weight IMO. The Nokia Lumia 920 was the heaviest I have used.