iPhone 6 Plus at Target for AT&T - Unlockable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gregintosh, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Hey everyone,

I noticed that Targets in my area have a plethora of AT&T units available of the iPhone 6 plus, and I was wondering if I am a T-Mobile customer can I buy one and use it? Or if I call AT&T will they just outright unlock it? I haven't had AT&T service in about 5 years.

I hear that units you buy at the Apple store tend to be unlocked no matter what carrier you get if you pay in full and I was wondering if that also extends to Targets or other retail locations.

I am cool with giving them a call to unlock it (AT&T) but I know that T-Mobile will only do it for phones that have been active on their network at least 30 days or 60 days or something, and if AT&T does the same then obviously its better to just wait for a T-Mobile unit to become available.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

(Alternatively, would I be able to get a friend who has an AT&T account to unlock for me without giving them the unit?)

Thanks!

2. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

AT&T will unlock it for you if you pay off your contract early termination fee, remaining bill, and have been on their service a minimum of 3 months.

I went to T-mobile with my AT&T iphone 5 and it was pretty easy. After the phone was unlocked you just swap SIM cards.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you paid full price the at&t iphone it should be unlocked.
    If its not and you have the receipt AT&T will unlock it for you if its still locked to them.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

And this is true even if I am not an AT&T customer (other than buying the phone that was made for their service)?

5. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I was at a local Target this morning and the sales guy said they won't sell any iPhone 6 for full price without a contract.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I believe so.
    Not sure if you need to be an AT&T customer to submit the request but if you paid full price I don't think it would matter.
    More details on this page:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/