iPhone 6 Plus at Target for AT&T - Unlockable?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Hey everyone,

I noticed that Targets in my area have a plethora of AT&T units available of the iPhone 6 plus, and I was wondering if I am a T-Mobile customer can I buy one and use it? Or if I call AT&T will they just outright unlock it? I haven't had AT&T service in about 5 years.

I hear that units you buy at the Apple store tend to be unlocked no matter what carrier you get if you pay in full and I was wondering if that also extends to Targets or other retail locations.

I am cool with giving them a call to unlock it (AT&T) but I know that T-Mobile will only do it for phones that have been active on their network at least 30 days or 60 days or something, and if AT&T does the same then obviously its better to just wait for a T-Mobile unit to become available.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.

(Alternatively, would I be able to get a friend who has an AT&T account to unlock for me without giving them the unit?)

Thanks!

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
AT&T will unlock it for you if you pay off your contract early termination fee, remaining bill, and have been on their service a minimum of 3 months.

I went to T-mobile with my AT&T iphone 5 and it was pretty easy. After the phone was unlocked you just swap SIM cards.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
If you paid full price the at&t iphone it should be unlocked.
If its not and you have the receipt AT&T will unlock it for you if its still locked to them.
And this is true even if I am not an AT&T customer (other than buying the phone that was made for their service)?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I was at a local Target this morning and the sales guy said they won't sell any iPhone 6 for full price without a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.