Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have noticed that when my phone's battery reaches 25 percent it sometime shuts down. Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: Honeymoon

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This is a known issue with the iPhone 6s first batch. However, I do see it outside of this margin. Apple hasn't acknowledged this yet. I'm starting to think it's more software than hardware related for most of these phones.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I was one of the first group to order the phone when it was released in September 2014. Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I can't believe Apple is unwilling to acknowledge this problem though.

AGamble

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
I have a 6 and my partner has a 6 plus. We're both experiencing issues (phones shutting down at 30%, sporadic change in battery percentage etc).

It seemed to get better since the last iOS upgrade but is still definitely an issue.

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
My 6S was having battery issues, the serial number of the device was eligible for the battery replacement. Took it to Apple and they replaced for free in less than two hours.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
This is a know issue with the 6s, and there's a replacement program for it here: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

I've been told by Apple support that they are actually looking into similar problems with the 6, but nothing's final there.
There's a small thread over at Apple's forum about it, and I suggest those with the problem contact Apple support through the iOS app so they can run diagnostics of the battery. You won't be offered a replacement now out-of-warranty, but may help with the investigation and hopefully a replacement program for the 6 as well.

Reactions: Susanjane Elizabeth

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife's iPhone 6s+ is doing this consistently now. Used to happen rarely when doing Ingress - her phone would just shut off while we were walking (usually under 50% battery left), start it up and the battery would rapid drain to 0.

Yesterday, walking in the park, watched her phone shut off 3 times - even just opening the FitBit app. Going through the Apple Support website - it's asking us to do a restore. So, last night, wife reset her phone and restored from iCloud. As a test, she did Ingress down to 20% and hasn't had a shutdown. Seems like that may have fixed the problem.

I've not had this problem on my 6s+. I didn't think this was software related either, but time will tell.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

CreamEggBear

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Burham
My wife's iPhone 6s+ is doing this consistently now. Used to happen rarely when doing Ingress - her phone would just shut off while we were walking (usually under 50% battery left), start it up and the battery would rapid drain to 0.

Yesterday, walking in the park, watched her phone shut off 3 times - even just opening the FitBit app. Going through the Apple Support website - it's asking us to do a restore. So, last night, wife reset her phone and restored from iCloud. As a test, she did Ingress down to 20% and hasn't had a shutdown. Seems like that may have fixed the problem.

I've not had this problem on my 6s+. I didn't think this was software related either, but time will tell.

Hopefully this has solved the issue.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.