iPhone 6 Plus Call Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TxExCxH, Dec 14, 2014.

1. TxExCxH, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

TxExCxH macrumors member

TxExCxH

I've had the iPhone 6 Plus since its release and in the last couple weeks almost everyone i speak to has problems hearing me. Is anyone else having this problem? I can hear them fine. Our household has 5 iPhones and we all have AT&T but I'm the only one with a 6 and the only one having reception issues.

Update** So i took my iPhone to the Apple Store today and got a replacement since the problem was with the phone and couldn't be fixed. They said it was a new iPhone but it came in a white box and the back looked like it might have been used. I asked the Genius if it was refurbished and he said he didn't know but it was a possibility. Im pretty sure it is which it kinda sucks since i paid 900 bucks for it 2 months ago and now i get it replaced and it was used by someone else? Not too happy but whatever.

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Mine is great in both directions. Much improved over my S4.

It may be hardware, can you exchange it?

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I talk a lot on my plus. I've not had a single complaint. Try having someone use your ohone to call you and see what's up.

4. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Good idea--

An example of mine is going thru a car wash last week. Called wife and she said she could not even tell I was in the wash--very happy with audio--:)

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I've had that happen on my end before on different devices. It's been well over two years. I just assumed it was a connection issue.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I'd get that checked out. My call quality has been excellent on both ends.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Probably not the issue, but if its enabled, you can try going into Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE and set it to Data Only (if it's currently set for Voice & Data). That at least rules out VoLTE being part of the issue.

9. TxExCxH thread starter macrumors member

TxExCxH

I guess i will make an appointment. I'm just hesitant because my phone was already replaced once because of a line going thru the display. And i don't want to seem like a pain in the ass. By the way it was replaced and i didn't pay anything because the genius said it was a manufacturers defect. Thanks for the replies guys.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I have a 6+ and I have difficulties hearing the phone calls. One factor is that I am not used to the size of the device and the location of the ear speaker is still not fitting naturally but the noise cancellation makes the call sound a little odd.

11. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

My call quality is wonderful, but the volume is so low that it's unusable except where ambient noise levels are very low.

But I don't care, my Nexus 6 and Note 4 both have world class phones with lots of adjustable volume. From low to very loud.

That's just another reason I carry two phones at all times.

I can count on Android without fail.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You carry two huge phones with you at all times? Wow, that's hardcore!

13. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Pffffffft :rolleyes:

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I bet you it's AT&T that's the problem, not your phones. I had horrendous call quality with my iPhone 5s on AT&T, but it improved instantly when I switched over to T-Mobile. My S.O. still has AT&T, and call quality is still horrible on that line, but great on mine.

AT&T (and most other carriers) are using an encoding scheme that is variable bit rate, and can be compressed to lower rates when the network is congested. If that happens to be the case where you are, then call quality will suffer.

Things will likely get better on AT&T when they finally roll out VoLTE nationwide. Until then, you can work around it a bit if you happen to be calling another iPhone by using FaceTime audio, though that will use data if you're on the cellular network when you make the call.

15. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

You might be surprised at how quickly you can get used to larger phones. Because I work on the Web via a desktop view by choice, I must have 5.5 to 6" displays.

I'm in and out of airports both domestically and internationally so it's very handy to do real work on my smartphone.

When I have an hour or more layover between flights then I whip out my MacBook Air which is synced via Chrome and pick right up where I left off on my smartphone.

It's a terrific solution for my heavy work load.

16. tok macrumors member

tok

I had the same problem once switching from the 5S to the 6 Plus. The 5S was working perfectly on T-Mobile. But many people on the 6 Plus stopped hearing me, even though I could hear them perfectly. Disabling VOLTE didn't make any difference. The only change that helped was to disable Phone Noise Cancellation (from Settings > General > Accessibility)

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I will test mine tomorrow. I just got a 6+ yesterday. I have until the 8th to return my 6+. I'm going to test everything. Is yours bent? Mine is straight so far.

----------

What is phone noise cancellation?

18. TxExCxH thread starter macrumors member

TxExCxH

Update** So i took my iPhone to the Apple Store today and got a replacement since the problem was with the phone and couldn't be fixed. They said it was a new iPhone but it came in a white box and the back looked like it might have been used. I asked the Genius if it was refurbished and he said he didn't know but it was a possibility. Im pretty sure it is which it kinda sucks since i paid 900 bucks for it 2 months ago and now i get it replaced and it was used by someone else? Not too happy but whatever.

19. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Almost three months and no problems with sound during phone calls. Only one person complains... But they complained about my iPhone 5, too.