Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I bought my iPhone 6 Plus on launch day. I love it. Everything's been working perfectly on it.. But within the last week I've noticed my rear facing camera WILL NOT focus on anything. Neither autofocus nor manual focus works. My 6 Plus camera is essentially unusable since everything is blurry.

Anyone else experience this? It could be related to iOS 8.1 but I'm not sure.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Apple's iOS has been a complete crock of crap the past year. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the os.

I also suspect some of the the camera issues may be software related. I was recently taking photos at the ocean and all of a sudden the images become way over exposed and the camera was unresponsive. Closing the camera app and removing it from recently used apps then reopening the app solved my issue.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I bought my iPhone 6 Plus on launch day. I love it. Everything's been working perfectly on it.. But within the last week I've noticed my rear facing camera WILL NOT focus on anything. Neither autofocus nor manual focus works. My 6 Plus camera is essentially unusable since everything is blurry.

Anyone else experience this? It could be related to iOS 8.1 but I'm not sure.

Try a hard reset, that has never happened to me on my Plus ever

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I can give you a latest update.

I've had my 6 plus since the 22nd Oct, took some photos with it - but was mostly focused on the other parts of the phone. Well I started to look at my photos on the computer after I transferred them - and they were really terrible. My previous iphones were much better.

One day I was taking a video of my kid on a swing, and when I moved I saw the live image wobbling ! And the recorded video also showed it.

Then I was now paying more attention to when I was taking a photo. Basically if i would hold the phone really steady then open the camera app I could focus and take an ok photo, but once I physically moved the phone then it would go out of focus and it could not be recovered, until I would close the app and once again hold the phone steady.

Anyway yesterday I contacted apple support online, they ran a diagnostic test, said that the springboard is running out of application memory. So I backed up my phone and restored it as new. All this time the online support was patiently waiting for me, well having it restored did not fix the issue.
Right after that they setup a genius appointment for me.

This morning I had my appointment, and I was easily able to show the guy the issue/s. He said that he has seen this twice before. Basically something is wrong mechanically with the OIS system.
They had a new replacement ready for me, which I quickly tested in the store.

I went home, had to update from 8.0 to the newly released 8.1.1 software, then after that I was able to restore my backup onto the phone.

Point being I can now take good photos/videos with my phone again. Advantage of the apple store for warranty is nice to have.

Anyway if you have a 6 plus, keep an eye on it. As it has some physical motor/mechanism for the camera it may be bad, or may go bad.

I have not looked in depth at my photos for the other reported overprocessing NR, but I'm sure it probably still remains.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I can give you a latest update.

I've had my 6 plus since the 22nd Oct, took some photos with it - but was mostly focused on the other parts of the phone. Well I started to look at my photos on the computer after I transferred them - and they were really terrible. My previous iphones were much better.

One day I was taking a video of my kid on a swing, and when I moved I saw the live image wobbling ! And the recorded video also showed it.

Then I was now paying more attention to when I was taking a photo. Basically if i would hold the phone really steady then open the camera app I could focus and take an ok photo, but once I physically moved the phone then it would go out of focus and it could not be recovered, until I would close the app and once again hold the phone steady.

Anyway yesterday I contacted apple support online, they ran a diagnostic test, said that the springboard is running out of application memory. So I backed up my phone and restored it as new. All this time the online support was patiently waiting for me, well having it restored did not fix the issue.
Right after that they setup a genius appointment for me.

This morning I had my appointment, and I was easily able to show the guy the issue/s. He said that he has seen this twice before. Basically something is wrong mechanically with the OIS system.
They had a new replacement ready for me, which I quickly tested in the store.

I went home, had to update from 8.0 to the newly released 8.1.1 software, then after that I was able to restore my backup onto the phone.

Point being I can now take good photos/videos with my phone again. Advantage of the apple store for warranty is nice to have.

Anyway if you have a 6 plus, keep an eye on it. As it has some physical motor/mechanism for the camera it may be bad, or may go bad.

I have not looked in depth at my photos for the other reported overprocessing NR, but I'm sure it probably still remains.

Sadly the closest Apple Store to me is 2 hours away. I called Verizon and they're sending me a refurbished 6 Plus. :/

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
Glad to hear Verizon is sending you a refurb.

I'll be keeping closer tabs on my camera issues but so far my only issues have been focusing problems and the over exposure issue that would go away until an app restart. It's helpful though to know about the OIS issues.

TaporSnap

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
South OC, CA
Funny you posted this. I noticed my pictures in the last week or so being really blurry. I just happened to be by the Apple store and showed the pictures to an employee. She suggested a hard reset and if that didn't work to schedule an appt. Needless to say, i'm going back on Friday.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Got my new phone in today. To give you an idea of the camera differences.. Look at the words "Need It" on the sign. Both takes with my old and new 6 Plus.

L7h51iw.jpg

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Got my new phone in today. To give you an idea of the camera differences.. Look at the words "Need It" on the sign. Both takes with my old and new 6 Plus.

Glad that you got your replacement. Lets hope that our replacement phones don't experience this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.