iPhone 6 Plus case - case for outdoor sports

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MartijnHK, Apr 18, 2015.

1. MartijnHK macrumors newbie

Hi all,

After nearly two years with a HTC One (m7), it's time to renew my carrier contract. I'm going back to iPhone (before the HTC I had an iPhone 4). Still not really decided between the iPhone 6 or 6+, price is not the main deciding factor (ie with the same 2yr carrier contract 350 Euros or 450 Euros for the 64gb model), size is (I do like the camera and battery of 6+). Probably will go the local Apple Store here in The Netherlands and try holding both. Do you guys know if an employee will actually let you try if the 6+ will fit in your pockets?

Anyway I was already surfing the web to look for some cases, probably buy two 1 for more regular use, less bulky case. Another for outdoor sports, I have a racing bike, luckily I never kissed the asphalt, but you know it could always happen. So to go cyling without a good case with a phone worth 900 Euros is not a very good idea in my opinion.

So I am looking for a case that is sweat resistant, prevents phone from bumps and falls and occasionally protects from rain (normally I don't go cycling in rain, but weather can change during cycling). I found the following cases which might fit my needs: Otterbox Defender, Griffin Survivor, Lifeproof nuud. The last one does seem a bit overkill since it protects underwater, and has problems with the Lightning port cover. Which of these cases do you prefer, are these sweat resistant? Are there other cases that suits my needs?

There is always the option to buy a cheap, small 80 Euro Nokia/Microsoft Lumia phone put it in plastic sandwich bag and take that with me and leave the 6/6+ at home.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

i do a lot of cycling, mountain and road, I have a dock for my 6+ on my handlebar and I have an Otterbox Commuter with an Otterbox Alpha Glass Screen Protector, I like the combo I have, I know Im confident that if the phone falls it will be protected, I have had it tumble a couple times, not on purpose; accidents just happen, and the phone and case are holding up extremely well, I also chose the commuter because its thick enough to give it sturdy protector and its thin enough that'll fit in my pockets without any worries, I tried out the defender it was way too big, plus the buttons are almost impossible to push down and never break in, the commuter's buttons are super soft and have great click ability. I hope this helps out!

3. MartijnHK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I didn't even think about that option (was thinking about putting the phone in one of the back pockets of a cycling jersey, but pretty sure the 6+ is too big for that). I was also thinking about buying a Mio GPS cycling computer, maybe the 6+ with some Wahoo fitness sensors can do the job.

Do you recommend a specific bike mount? Has anyone got experience with putting the 6+ in a fitness armband? How does that feel? Any others suggestions are very welcome.

4. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I use m ap my ride, I have used it since I believe the iPhone 4S came out, so for a while, it has been extremely accurate for me and it syncs up to an abundance of sensors, the dock I use is the kooks bike mount, but has to be the one that will extend 3 inches for the 6+, I used it last year for my 5S but had to get the bigger one that fits perfectly. And I can't use an arm band because no arms bands can wrap comfortably around my arms. http://www.amazon.com/Koomus-BikeGo..._cp_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BJJ6BBZ9D2CV2F3E0TE