iPhone 6 Plus catches fire?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chraos, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chraos, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

chraos macrumors member

**Double Post...mods please delete. sorry

Sorry if this is a double post....i know i'm not supposed to laugh and genuinely feel bad for the guy, but this entire series of events is so insane its hard not to laugh. Bendgaters will say its a flaw, fanboys will say would have happened with any phone. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

Guy says iPhone 6 Bent and caught on fire

2. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

3. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

This was already posted by oneofthenine a few days ago. A quick search of the forum will reveal it. And you don't have to be a "fanboy" to say that this can happen to any phone.

The reality is that lithium ion batteries are actually relatively volatile. Virtually all smartphones today have essentially the same kind of battery, and under certain conditions where they're subjected to intense stress, explosions are not outside the realm of probability; and there is nothing in the phone's design or software that will prevent it if it was going to happen anyway.

4. chraos thread starter macrumors member

Damn, sorry

*Mods please delete this thread if you get a chance

----------

I'll take your word for it...but to play devils advocate, one could argue that the softer aluminum when hit very hard creates a sharp internal edge which could puncture the softer Li-Ion battery that apple uses where as cheap quality plastic phones with removable backplates tend to have hard plastic battery housings....I I think in this case it doesn't matter what phone the guy had, same result would have happened due to the force upon impact resulting in what you described.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.