iPhone 6 Plus color uniformity...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Sep 25, 2014.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

For those of you who are sensitive to uniformity, have you noticed the following?

(This is only the 6 Plus, and this thread is NOT about the whole screen being yellow [i.e. panel variance] )

The issue:

The left side is warmer/yellower. The right side is cooler/bluer (portrait orientation). I noticed this on my iPhone 6 Plus, the store iPhone 6 Plus devices, and a few of my friends I've mentioned this to have noticed it as well.

A good test is NOT a completely white screen because your eyes betray you (hah!). Just use this very forum thread as a test..

I suspect only those who are very sensitive will notice, but I've seen too many devices to believe it's a coincidence.

2. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't surprise me. Every iPad Air I have used had screen uniformity issues.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Agreed, there. My iPad Air suffers similarly, and it's been tricky to tune it out...

4. *KID* macrumors regular

My screen is uniform. It's a cool tone - more blue tint if anything, not yellow. I just stared at this forum on there an a bunch of other things trying to find it but it's not there.

5. glhughes macrumors regular

I have color uniformity issues on my 6 (non-plus). It's yellow/brownish in the bottom-left and a bit in the top-right. It's especially distracting in the Mail app since either the left side of the keyboard looks brown or the bottom couple of messages in the list look "dirty". The title bar looks grey on the left and yellowish on the right.

As you say, not as apparent on a fully-white screen. I took a couple comparison photos against my 5S and the 5S actually looks worse on a white screen but for some reason looks better when I'm using it (never noticed the problem on the 5S until this test; immediately noticed this problem on the 6).

Apple seems to have a really hard time producing displays with good color uniformity for some reason. Even my MBP Retina has this issue (but to a less distracting extent; also confirmed with a colorimeter) and this is my second retina MBP -- the first one I returned because the LHS of the screen had a pink hue.

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

To be fair, all manufacturers struggle with color uniformity. I see it on the OLED Galaxy S line, projectors (I do a lot of home theater work), LCD monitors, gaming handhelds (very annoying on the DS/3DS when the top screen is a completely different hue from the bottom - plus the usual panel variance), TVs etc etc.

It's a shame, and sometimes it stinks to be picky. :(

7. 1968 macrumors regular

The bigger the screen, the bigger the chance of variation across the panel, and the easier it is to notice any variation.

8. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yep, for sure. I struggle with projectors the most because of this.

9. Elviram macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, but I afraid that a replacement will be the same one:(