iPhone 6 Plus: Cover stories

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -BigMac-, Jan 1, 2015.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

iPhoneLads.

Anyone have any stories about their iPhone 6/Plus Covers saving their phones?

I have the leather black case on my Plus, but the aesthetics of the phone keep peaking at me. I can't handle it anymore and wanna to take it off permanently.

Give me some reason to keep it on please!

1 reply = 1 saved iPhone (not really) #protecttheplus :apple:

xo

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

3. Shanghaichica, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have the Apple silicone case. Last week I was late to meet a friend so I was rushing down the road and at the same time I was trying to either put my 6 plus back into my pocket or take it out (can't remember which). Anyway. I dropped the phone onto the pavement. Luckily it fell face up. I quickly inspected the phone afterwards and have been doing so on occasion since then. Amazingly the phone doesn't have a mark on it. It's still as flawless as it was when it came out of the box. The silicone case has two marks on it but my 6 plus was saved. I also have a glass screen protector so I don't know if that also protected the screen, although the phone didn't drop onto the screen.

Also two nights ago, I slipped over as the pavement was really Icey. I fell flat onto my back. My iPhone was in my coat pocket, which is very paded and was in a spigen ultra hybrid, crystal clear case. I didn't land on my phone. I think I probably absorbed the fall as I landed on my back and my coat as it is very padded. However if my phone had been naked the force of the fall might have caused it to slide out of my pocket as it's very slippery. Once again my phone is intact with no marks or damage. I can't beleive I've had two near misses though. I haven't dropped a phone in years. I do have insurance though.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

This morning I drop mine. It was a very little fall, but thanks to the Apple leather cover it was undamaged, even aesthetically.
    Without a cover I wouldn't bet on it.

As a side note, I'm very careful with my iDevices. Almost OCD. But accidents happened, no matter how careful you are.
    I don't want to risk my 850€ device for that, because I'm going to resell it one year from now to take an iPhone 6S #

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

?? Lads only eh?

6. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

iPhonelasses?

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I dropped my 6+ onto my hardwood floor. It bounced and landed on the screen but there was no damage that I could see. I don't have a case and I don't plan on getting one.

8. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

wow really? how high did you drop it from?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3ish feet. I probably just got lucky, but I'm not using a case either way, so it doesn't matter.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If it makes you feel better, I dropped my 5s with the green leather case in it and it absolutely saved the phone from nasty scuffs and dings. The leather tote in two corners. It was the worst drop I have ever had with any phone. I was convinced there would be more damage. The case looked like hell but the phone came out as mint as ever.

Not convinced these new cases that don't conpletelt cover the bottom would do as well. I could be wrong.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Corners are still covered, and usually they are taking the worst hit. There is an edge covered only on the outside part, where the lightning connector is, but you must be very unlucky to take an hit in that point.

Attached Files:

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have that exact case :)

When my phone dropped it kind of rolled or did a carthweel on a dirt road. Specific circumstance that, even if I tried to reproduce I probably couldn't.

I'm happy with the case but I didn't really see a reason to keep the bottom open. The shape of the phone probably necessitated that sort of design I guess. I'm confident there are scenarios that could see me damaging the bottom of my phone lol. I agree it would need to be an I licky drop, but that's oartnof the reason to get a case anyway right?

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is a good reason for that: accessories. With the previous Apple leather cover for my iPhone 5 and 5S I had to took out the case every time I had to connect a cradle (like my hifi or my car). With the new one I can leave the case on.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Thad a fair point. Here in the dates we are getting away from accessories though. It's hard to find a store that sells any cradle items. I know some people states they had issues charging with aftermarket cables on the older cases. I personally never had issues and I have a Belkin and a couple ither no name cables too.

Anyway, I prefer full coverage in cases as full coverage has never adversely effected me. Apple has never been one to base a decision on third party product so I am still leaning towards the shape of the phone being different. Even the case has a lip now where it used to just drop right in. I imagine repeated removal of a leather case molded like the 5s case was would eventually damage the leather. The open bottom allows for a "peel off" motion.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Yes, the previous leather case was a nightmare to remove. I had to do that carefully to not damage it.
    With the current one is very easy.