iPhone 6 Plus Defender - Can you remove the screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hokeyplyr48, Oct 30, 2014.

1. hokeyplyr48 macrumors member

I've had numerous otterbox cases and I always remove the built in screen protector on the defenders so I can use my own underneath. I've currently got the zagg glass on my plus and like it a lot.

Anyone with the defender, is the screen still removable? Usually it's just glue holding it on.

Also, I want to remove the built in screen protector since the home button membrane appears to be damaging the oleophobic coating on the screen anway.

2. yubakram macrumors member

yubakram

I would say yes ....with some effort. The adhesive they used is different from previous model and is more secure. If I were to do it I would look for a screen protector that covers the entire screen. The Zagg ifor example is too narrow along the sides and I would image dirt getting into the case easily.

3. snoopykul macrumors newbie

does anyone know if you can remove just the screen protector but leave the home button portion on?

4. jayf macrumors member

The screen protecter is held in with glue and can be popped out, but glue residue stays behind. It took me hours of scrubbing and soaking to get all the residue off.

If you are using another protecter under the case it shouldn't be a problem.

----------

The home button membrane is attached to the back portion of the screen protecter. Unless you cut the screen protecter out leaving the portion where the membrane is, there is no way to leave just the membrane behind.

5. hokeyplyr48 thread starter macrumors member

Are you running a screen protector UNDERNEATH the otterbox one or did you remove it and have your own on?

6. jayf macrumors member

I took the screen protecter out, scrubbed and cleaned all the glue off the case and I've been using it without a screen protecter at all. I have a replacement from otter box, and I'm just going to cut the home button skin out on that one.

7. hokeyplyr48 thread starter macrumors member

So the issue I had removing the built in screen protector for the defender on my 5/5s was there was dirt that got in and rubbed between the hard inner shell and the phone.

Is there a massive gap between the screen and the shell to allow dirt in with the removed screen protector or is it a snug fit?

8. jds4300 macrumors member

I did some research and found that adhesive is easily removed with common toothpaste. I removed the CRAPPY Defender screen protector. The super sticky and stubborn adhesive was removed after applying Arm and Hammer white toothpaste. I covered the affected areas thoroughly with toothpaste and simply let it sit on the frame for thirty minutes. I then used an old toothbrush to scrub the adhesive away. It took some effort but I removed all adhesive. My 6 has tempered glass. The Defender along with my tempered glass covered iPhone is now as tough as nails and ready for the cruel world and all of its hazards.

9. 66gonzo macrumors regular

Has anyone had any issues with scratched glass around the edges (where the case meet the glass) after removing the screen "shield"?

10. ski3po macrumors newbie

I removed the shield and haven't seen any issues yet with the phone.

I Will say, I did notice that there appears to be some play in the physical case. It seems like the screen protector held the edge of the plastic firmly or some such thing.

I am going to take it apart tonight to do some diagnostics.

11. AE14 macrumors 65816

the OB is my every day case for my 6plus. The screen came out without issue as I use a class protector. A little goo gone, and the residue was gone in minutes

12. 55test55 macrumors 6502

Maybe besides holding it in and supporting it that way, it is simply just a tad bit thicker and without it there is a gap?