iPhone 6 Plus display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hexiii, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

So I am not quite sure if I get the functionality of the 6+ display.

The phone renders the content at 1242 x 2208 (which is the size you should design the apps at?) and then it scales it down to 1080x1920 like a bitmap? Wouldn't it create a terrible looking... well... everything? For example, you wouldn't be able to have a clear 1px solid line, correct?

So, is that true?

2. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I believe that's correct and it's quite frustrating. The 6 Plus was an instant buy for me until I stumbled into the downscaling thing.

I'm hoping the "Zoom View" feature has a 1:1 pixel mapping, but I'm doubtful. Also, some argue that at 401ppi, most won't notice a difference.

I'm waiting for reviews to make me final judgement.

3. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I think if it works that way, you most definitely will see the difference... it wouldn't be that apparent, but it will be noticeable.

Seems like Apple doesn't care about pixel-perfection anymore anyway...

[​IMG]

4. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... doesn't rMBP's work exactly the same way? The laptop renders the content at 5760x3600 and then it scales it down to 2880x1800. Looks pretty pixel perfect to me. So I think it'll be fine with the iPhone's too.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It doesn't downscale, it downsamles. That's the key difference. It will look fine.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The Plus display also has worse contrast.

Bigger CPU hit on the Plus.

Render higher at 3x and downsample.

7. Cryates macrumors 65816

Barely. Won't be noticeable.

8. vixducis macrumors regular

If we could all take a look at that very last picture on that page you would know this is really horrible. This is exactly why icon designers design multiple size icons and not just publish vector images. They need to be pixel perfect and not some downscaled, half pixel mess.

9. odds macrumors 6502

I'm not technically aware of these details, will you please explain the difference between downscaling and downsampling? Thanks.

10. EnderTW macrumors 6502

11. odds macrumors 6502

Ok, if you've read this far and haven't read this link: http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

Then stop what you're doing and read it.

Now, for everyone else, is it still possible for app and web developers to create apps/websites that are pixel perfect for the iPhone 6 Plus' 1080x1920 resolution screen?

12. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Apparently devs are being encouraged to code for the 3x resolution and allow the down sampling to occur. I have to say I'm a bit of a hypocrite if I mind too much, since I absolutely love my retina MBP's display.

13. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

As far as I know, the rMBP doesn't down-sample by default. Only in the scaled modes?

14. odds, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

odds macrumors 6502

Yea, the MacBook Pros with Retina display are stunningly beautiful. Considering they have even less PPI than the iPhone 6 Plus will, it's almost a given that the iPhone 6 Plus display will look superior. It'd be a really nice thought if developers *could* release pixel perfect apps, though...

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Oh, is the default "best" mode not down sampled? I know it does render at a high resolution than what is displayed but I think it's a 1:1 difference in the default mode... not really sure.

16. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

So the iPhone 6 plus can never display a sharp image?

Even if it won't be that visible on the retina display, when you view screenshot on a computer, it will look blurry.

17. vixducis macrumors regular

No it's not possible to create pixel perefect graphics, nor for web devs, nor for app devs. Screenshots will probably saved in the 2208x1242 format I think (they better).

18. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

And how many smartphones on the market do this? Or is iPhone 6 the only one?

19. Divegent macrumors member

Are there any screenshots from a 6 or 6+ in original size on the net right now?

20. odds macrumors 6502

I think the iPhone 6+ might be the only one.