Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
The iPhone 6 Plus felt huge when I was going to upgrade from my iPhone 5. I ended up going with the 6. Very nice upgrade without being to big. I was looking at the 6 Plus while in an Apple store this week. It doesn't feel to big anymore. I think I might go with the larger size when it's time to get the 7 next year.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I went from the 5 to the 6+. Although there are still quite a few things I do not like about this phone I find it much easier to handle and hold on to then my iPhone 5.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You get use to the size pretty quickly. I remember after about a month the iPhone 5 I had before felt absolutely tiny.

The 6 is also a really nice, comfortable size, but if you don't absolutely need one handed access all the time the 6 Plus is perfect for web browsing, playing games and watching short videos.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
You get use to the size pretty quickly. I remember after about a month the iPhone 5 I had before felt absolutely tiny.

The 6 is also a really nice, comfortable size, but if you don't absolutely need one handed access all the time the 6 Plus is perfect for web browsing, playing games and watching short videos.
Yeah, that's my conundrum though. Currently I'm using the 5.2" Moto X and I would like to buy the new iPhone this fall. I've felt the difference between the 6 and 6+, even owned a 6 for a week and a half before returning it. I like the size of the 6 for the portability and one handed aspect, but the 6+ screen size is more my style. I feel like I will go 6+, but the ease of use with the smaller 6 is pretty nice.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I went from the 4 to the 6 Plus so I had a big adjustment lol. But now that I am use to it the 4 just feels like a little kids toy. I don't even know how I went out in public with that small thing.

Reactions: capathy21

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
I don't have the 6+, just the 6, and I also find the 6+ not that big anymore. In fact, I am planning on upgrading to the 6+ in September, when the 6S+ (??) comes out.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My daughter has a 5. She handed me her phone the other day. It felt so small!

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
I went from a 5 to a 6 because I felt the 6+ was too big. But now like many others have said I think i will like the larger screen size and go with the bigger one when the 7 comes out.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I went from the 5 to the 6+. Although there are still quite a few things I do not like about this phone I find it much easier to handle and hold on to then my iPhone 5.

What??? I am SHOCKED you gave up iOS 6 and the perfect iPhone 4" form factor. Wow. Bet you can see how awful iOS 8 performs on the 6 plus? Lag city.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What??? I am SHOCKED you gave up iOS 6 and the perfect iPhone 4" form factor. Wow. Bet you can see how awful iOS 8 performs on the 6 plus? Lag city.
I gave up iOS 6.1 in August 2014 because the battery on my iPhone swelled.

So I was uniquely positioned to complain when I got the experience of iOS 7 on my new iPhone 5. Thankfully I jailbroke the phone which made it more bearable.

But in an attempt to get my iPhone unlocked I restored to iOS 8.1.3 earlier this year. So, I was also uniquely positioned to complain about iOS 8.

When I got my iPhone 6+ (because I am stuck on Sprint, I intended to get a phone out of them) I was lucky enough to get 8.1.2 so I jailbroke it.

I haven't been on iOS 6 for well over a year. And yeah. I still hate iOS 7/8.

Reactions: dkh587

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Like many of you, my first experience with the Plus was a shock.I originally went from the 5s to the 6 Plus and it was quite a big jump in size. I ended up returning for a 6 which I was happy with for several months until I switched carriers. I ended up getting the 6 Plus that time, and after having the 6 for a few months, the Plus was still huge, but not as drastic as the first time around. I have a 6 that I use primarily for work and I still much prefer the form factor of the 6. However, the display on the 6 plus absolutely blows the 6 out of the water, and the battery life? I've had my Apple watch and Lg Tones connected to my 6 plus since 6am this morning with moderate to solid use and I am still sitting at 54 percent battery 15 hours later. The Plus battery absolutely kills the 6 battery.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I went from android to the 6 in September, and I plan on getting the next version of the 6+ when it comes out. I read a lot on my phone so the extra screen size plus the battery life will be nice.

Reactions: bhayes444

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
The iPhone 6 Plus felt huge when I was going to upgrade from my iPhone 5. I ended up going with the 6. Very nice upgrade without being to big. I was looking at the 6 Plus while in an Apple store this week. It doesn't feel to big anymore. I think I might go with the larger size when it's time to get the 7 next year.

Yeah Apple's surprise announcement this year will be - iPad Plus the New iPhone!

I would also buy stock in JNCO as a retro fashion trend is about to emerge:

iu.jpeg

Reactions: nburwell

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Went from 5s to 6 Plus. First two weeks were pretty brutal, but the beautiful screen, great battery life and OIS made it so worth it. Now when I try to use the 5s keyboard I hit all the wrong buttons. I probably will never go back to a smaller phone screen again. I think the 6 Plus is the perfect size.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah, that's my conundrum though. Currently I'm using the 5.2" Moto X and I would like to buy the new iPhone this fall. I've felt the difference between the 6 and 6+, even owned a 6 for a week and a half before returning it. I like the size of the 6 for the portability and one handed aspect, but the 6+ screen size is more my style. I feel like I will go 6+, but the ease of use with the smaller 6 is pretty nice.

If you have relatively large hands (mine are medium-large, about 10.2" from thumb to little finger when spread out), it is possible to use the 6 Plus one handed with Reachability. I often have to do it when standing up crammed in on public transport and having to hold on to something whilst using my phone. It's not as easy as the 6, but I definitely think the sacrifice is worth it as it's much nicer to use in many other ways.

silentnick

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2015
I got so used to my 6plus so quickly when I upgraded from my iPhone 5. I don't think I could deal with a smaller phone now. The screen size is perfect and the 6plus s should stay the same size, just with a better processor and features, in my opinion.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Its funny how something I considered a decent size now feels tiny. I was helping my sister in law with her 5C over the weekend and it was TINY. I will say though, its nice to hold a phone that fits in your hand and so compact.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I think most of us can agree that the choices Apple made for screen sizes in the iPhone 6 and 6+ were the right ones. I hope that in the future, only screen resolution increases and not screen size. Having a new 4" iPhone would be great for the people that want it, but those three sizes should stay for the long-run.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Interesting. I have a 5 at the moment and will upgrade when the next phone comes out. I have small hands and was certain that I would go with a 6 (or what will be 6s by September I assume) but this thread has just motivated me to go and cut out a 160mm x 80mm piece of cardboard (I rounded up by a couple of mm on the 6 Plus dimensions) to play with, carry around in my pocket for a bit, etc. Already I'm thinking the dimensions aren't that bad but how about the weight?

I carry my phone in my front trouser pocket and worry a bit that it might feel noticeably heavy compared to my 5. That's one thing that wowed me going from the 4 to the 5, the 5 was so much lighter. Maybe the weight is another thing that one just stops noticing after a while.

I really do fancy the extra battery life on the 6 Plus and with the iOS 9 optimisations and efficiency improvements in some of the electronics I bet the battery life on the next version of the 6 Plus will be incredible.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

Same for me.
I wasn't ready for the Plus last fall, it was a huge difference from the iPhone 5 so I went for the 6 without hesitations.
After a few months the Plus still feel "big" but I might give it a chance next time. I sometimes have problem controlling my iPhone 6 with one hand, so if I have to use both hands for the phone why not buying the 5.5'' model with a lot more real estate on the screen?
If they'll put multitasking on the Plus only they'll help me make my decision

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.